Featured An interesting piece of American Eagle Assoc. history [?]

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by hemster922, Nov 12, 2017.

1. hemster922

hemster922 Well-Known Member

...but I can't seem to locate the history. :sour:
    Found it framed. An an admission ticket or invitation perhaps? 3" x 4" sturdy paper, embossed around border and has an iridescent color to it. Extremely good condition.
    Hard to believe it could be that old. But I have no clue. Still searching, but since you guys are so amazing I thought I'd post it....:D
    PC020005 (640x480).jpg PC020004 (640x480).jpg PC020011 (640x480).jpg

2. Misty Horler

Misty Horler Member

That is very cool. It could be an original, or it could be a print. I have no idea, but I'd love to have that!:)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is that 1831 or 1851? Printing looks way more modern than either to me.

4. Bakersgma

5. Bakersgma

Note that the paragraph in that book references another "chapter" of said organization in New Jersey, members of which are going to be attending the Ball in Patterson. I wonder whether this was a predecessor of the current "Eagles" fraternal group?

6. hemster922

You're a beautiful Human! I'll need to follow your lead Bakersgma, I didn't get far in my research, but I think when I looked up Congress Hall, it took me to Cape May cty.. Was trying to verify if this Ball actually took place on this date. But apparently there was a big fire [after the fact], everything lost & rebuilt again.
    That's as far as I got. Was going to look into the names listed at the bottom for more clues.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. hemster922

How do I authenticate something like this?

8. Bakersgma

I started there too, hemster, but figured a grand ball in the dead of winter in Cape May was unlikely. ;)

Then I switched to American Eagle Association in quotes and got the google books hit fairly quickly.

9. Bakersgma

You're going to have to take it out of the frame and then find some source of expertise on whether the paper and printed surface would have been possible in the 1850's.

But if you get really lucky, there will be something else inside the frame that will help - like a note or writing on the back or some such. Looks like a modern framing job.

10. hemster922

The third photo above is it removed from the frame. [not very good photo I guess]
    I'll try again.

11. Bakersgma

Oh! I thought it was just close up - but now that you say the - sure enough, the matte isn't there. Duh.

So step one is done, now for step 2!

12. Bakersgma

What does the back look like? Same shiny surface or not?

13. hemster922

Its reverse embossed from the front, clean as a whistle. I'll try to get a real good picture, but it feels like rubber coated paper. [only way I can think to describe it]

14. hemster922

Not shiny though. Not like the frontside

15. hemster922

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Only have one comment. The town is Paterson NJ not Patterson. I am having trouble seeing this with colored ink in the letters. I was sure a posting official as this was would have been in proper black ink and not "prettied" up with color ink.
    greg

Christmasjoy, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  17. Bakersgma

Sorry about the misspelling, Greg. :oops: All fixed.

18. hemster922

Looking at it through a magnifying glass, there is no black ink in the lettering.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing a modern reproduction. I agree with Greg - shaded coloring on the ink would not have been around then. The embossed border almost seems like it was a copy of the original frame on the original certificate. Maybe it was made for an anniversary of some kind.

KingofThings, hemster922 and judy like this.
  20. hemster922

Any advice on where to bring pieces like this for up close evaluation?

judy and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted