Featured An "Orgy of Rhythms Scene" Russian..?? Oil Painting 140x105 cm

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BTZ64, Nov 18, 2020.

?

Is this Painting Russian..Moscow St Peterborough??

1. Date of Execution if possible.??

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Any idea of the Painter 's name.??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hello again,
    Here is an other Eastern Europe painting,representing a Crazy Fair Banquet in a cellar of a Harbor with a Patriarch Lord hosting his subjects...?? This is how I can describe this Incredible Scene...
    This Painting has been done on a very rigid and rough Canvas and I believe that a left part has been removed..?? As their is a type of partition cut which has been reunified..(Can be seen on the photos)
    Any idea when this painting has been done..?? Was it as a Theatral type of backround decor..?? 016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 011.JPG 015.JPG 010.JPG 002.JPG 009.JPG
    This scene is very weird and bizarre...But the Ambiance and atmosphere is brilliant...The Colors used are as well so sharp...And any part of this painting has got an happening.
    As mentioned,this is a large painting Dim: 140 x 105 cm (And still believe a part is missing...??) There is a sign at the right bottom..??
    Is this Scene supposed to be Moscow..St Peterborough...?? Does it means some History Facts or Legend..??
    I love it and can't spend a day watching at it with a Smile....
    Hope Some of you might be able of telling me more about it...
    Looking forward for your Expertise and Analysis....Big Thanks in advance...JCK

kyratango, judy, mmarco102 and 8 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a good painting, B. It reminds me a bit of work by the Belgian painter James Ensor, but it is not by him. The costumes are old style East Slavic.
    The style is so distinct, there is a good chance @Natasha knows the artist.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    judy, Bronwen, i need help and 5 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot help you to identify it, but it's a fabulous painting.

4. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks a lot....Hope Natasha can have an idea on this Weird Painting..??

judy, Bronwen, i need help and 4 others like this.
  5. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thank you...Will check J.Ensor just to understand your comments...Yes, I hope Natasha can find something...She has been Brilliant on the other Painting.

6. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Ahh Yes I checked..You are right A little looks a like Atmosphere and Crowdy Painting...Thanks Very Interesting..

judy, Bronwen, i need help and 3 others like this.
  7. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Yes, this painting is weird. I think it's a crazy parody of a Russian fairytale, probably modern interpretation of it. Anyway, for me it's bad taste and poor quality. The signature is not clear, so I have no clue Russian.jpg

judy, Bronwen, BTZ64 and 2 others like this.
  8. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It is a very busy painting. Reminds me of anglo saxons and maybe paganism.

judy, BTZ64 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

The figure in the background could be a clue to the story. Someone returning from sea to find his town in such a state of madness? Is that a story you recognize?

[​IMG]

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  10. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

As usual,Big Thanks Natasha...Am a little disappointed about "Bad taste and Quality"...For sure it is quite Naively done...But I don't think it is as such Modern...?? Base of Canvas looks very Old..?? Brush strokes Thick and Rich in Paint material.....Anyway....Big Thanks about knowing it is an Interpretation of a Russian Fairy tale...Very Decorative and Curious Painting.Does The Harbor behind can says something about the Supposed to be Location..??? jck

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It looks 20th century to me.

judy, Bronwen and BTZ64 like this.
  12. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Do you mean..Soviet Period...?? Or much more Modern..?? Thanks..JCK

Bronwen likes this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

To me too, and I will hazard a guess at mid century 1960s. Twenty years prior would not surprise me either.

What's the back look like? I think this painting was FOLDED before it was framed, and perhaps that's what you call "partition" ?

judy, BTZ64, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  14. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Kinda fauvist, innit?

Not properly of the genre but the color palette, and the brashness...

judy, BTZ64 and Bronwen like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe it's a King-of-Fools sort of thing.

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was thinking Lord of Misrule too, with the actual mayor or whoever runs the place at his high table. The figure in the background (facing away?) stands apart. I'm with AJ that there's meaning there, but I can't interpret it.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does look oddly cropped on the right. Anything on the back? Have you removed it from the frame?

Debora

Any Jewelry, aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  18. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks for your response...I would as well think the same...Earlier than 1960...Due to the aspect of the Canvas which was very different as the Mesh texture was Rough,very Rigid and not as tight as a normal linen canvas should be... Well ,It had to be stuck on a plywood board and glued for 2 days before framing...Nothing was inscribed on the back just this dark type of waxed very rigid rough mesh Linen canvas.

judy likes this.
  19. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Can you send me a sample of Paganism Anglo saxon image..?? Thanks

judy likes this.
  20. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks for your response...I don't think so..This Painting couldn't be folded due to the texture of the Base Canvas which was so rigid..It would have break otherwise..It could only be rolled with a minimum of 30cm diameter opening.The partition is still there and very visible..At 100% there was a left equal part..Missing..?? You can see that it has been stitched to reunite both parts...jck

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted