An Orphan Comb Back Windsor Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by The Rookie, Aug 1, 2021.

1. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

My wife bought this chair in a yard sale 20 years ago for $5. It no longer suits her fancy, so she's ready to give it to church for their sale. I was just wondering if it is anything special, or if anyone recognizes the tag on the bottom. The only thing that is readable on the tag is "Pattern #". Thanks for any help!

PICT0079.JPG

Attached Files:

LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi there Rookie, and WELCOME!! Am going to post your images FULL SIZE which is easy for you to do next time you post by just clicking on the VERY TOP IMAGE once you have them all loaded!! From what I can see, I'm pretty sure we're looking at a nice reproduction, but wait for others to chime in!!

PICT0079.JPG

PICT0078.JPG

PICT0080.JPG

PICT0077.JPG

LauraGarnet02, Boland and Bronwen like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, post WWII reproduction. Nice chair but not terribly valuable

4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Yes, part of the Colonial Revival craze, when Winterthur was assembling its collections and the style was hot for domestic interiors. DAR ruled! Lots of repros appeared on the market, both well-done and not-so-much. Even Wallace Nutting committed some whoppers. I find it fascinating to look back on the interior design interpretations manifested, and how far afield we have come in our research and understanding of the true nature and appearances of the Colonial interiors. https://research.colonialwilliamsburg.org/Foundation/journal/Summer02/revival.cfm

LauraGarnet02, Boland and Bronwen like this.
  5. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

Thanks, guys. We can tell the church what to expect then. Someone will get a nice deal on a 70-year old chair!

Aquitaine and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted