Featured An unfortunate cheese dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Aug 19, 2019.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I bought this maybe 15 years ago and have only recently photographed it. It was badly damaged when I bought it, but a pretty thing none the less. My hope was that some staple repairs might be sufficient. There are no doubt more modern methods, but it rather begs for staples. The registration diamond reads 1882, and the maker is EJD Bodley (absolutely no trace of that final "y"). The pattern is very much of the Aesthetic Period. The dome is 4 1/4" high (excluding the handle), and 6 3/4" across. The underplate, which is also severely damaged and stained to boot, is 8 3/4" across.
    EJD Bodley Aesthetic Period Domed Cheese Dish England -a.jpg

EJD Bodley Aesthetic Period Domed Cheese Dish England -b.jpg

Having photographed it, which always comes with a detailed examination, I've come to the conclusion it's not a simple repair; it requires repair and restoration. Not worth it.

I've done some light online searching for a comparable to replace it, and have come to the conclusion that it ain't gonna be easy, and it ain't gonna be cheap. This will probably be on my shelf for a while yet.

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

But, but, but - Its soooooooooooo pretty it DESERVES to be on a shelf..............I covet................

dgbjwc, judy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It is beautiful.

moreotherstuff and i need help like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Oh, it is a lovely fine thing.

moreotherstuff and i need help like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But sure is PURTY, MOS!!!!!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Just glue it so you can display it. Yes, a pretty piece.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted