Anchor Hocking Moonstone Votive / Toothpick?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Mar 8, 2017.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Replacements lists this as Moonstone, but has it priced at $79.95. Is it really a rare piece, or miscategorized - possibly a separate dime store piece that has been lumped in with Moonstone?

I can't find any completeds. Also, my 2 different editions of Gene Florence's "40s, 50s, 60s" glassware books don't show or list this piece. Is it something else entirely?

Thanks! It's 2-3/8" high, 2" in diameter at the rim edge.

IMG_9945.JPG
    IMG_9948.JPG
    IMG_9949.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm finding this listed as A J Beatty & Son Blue Opalescent Hobnail toothpick.
    Circa 1889

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. UncleChuckTX

Awesome, Pat - thank you! I'm glad I asked.

I looked in Heacock/Elmore opalescent glass book, and they have it attributed to Nickel Plate Glass as "Over-All Hob".

The Carwile Standard Encyclopedia corrects that, saying the Nickel Plate ID was incorrect, and listing it is A.J. Beatty #100 "Over-All Hobnail", later made by U.S. Glass.

Just FYI, in case anyone else has / finds one of these.

4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

It was A. J. Beatty, Tiffin Ohio. made in 1889, after they moved from Steubenville, Ohio. Before they Joined U. S. Glass Co. Probably not made by U. S. Glass Co.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when you hold it up to the light does the white make the glass have an orange glow ?.......and if so ...why?

6. UncleChuckTX

Thanks, Tom. I looked through the company history section of the Heacock book, and it says that Nickel Plate Glass also ended up part of US Glass. I'm guessing that's where the confusion came from about the original maker.

This one does have the orange "fire" typical to some opalescent pieces. I don't know the exact answer for that. I know opalescence and some "white" / "milk glass" colors are created by reheating areas of the glass after molding / forming.

I would think the difference in orange glow / non-glow comes down to the chemical formula used when trying to achieve white glass. Some of the white glass winds up semi-opaque (opalescent), and other white glass winds up completely flat and opaque (mid-century and later milk glass, for example).

I saw a webpage once that had a chart listing glass colors by the minerals or formulas used to make the color. I can't find it in my bookmarks anymore.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you !
    I have some hobnail sherbet glasses.....some have more white some have less, but they all glow orange.....

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Drat, I cleaned my cache, should have logged in and didn't and wrote basically the following which disappeared when I logged in.

Perusing an old glass formula book I found a batch labeled "Casing Opal." the ingredients listed were Sand, 50 lbs, Soda, 14, Lead, 35 1/2, Niter, 3, Arsenic, 3, Bone, 3.
    The comment "Shows fire over Light." I expect the "fire" is what we are discussing above. Bone, or Bone Ash is the ingredient added to make clear glass strike opalescent when struck, cooled and reheated. This formula includes the comment "Not very dense."

9. UncleChuckTX

Thanks Tom!

Hopefully it was no one we knew. ;)

dgbjwc and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted