Anchor Hocking plate with blue gold coat or arms or crest. Any info on decoding this plate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rick Erfert, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Rick Erfert

Rick Erfert Active Member

Thanks in advance.
    IMG_06241.jpg IMG_06251.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Rick, what does the rest of the plate look like?

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It looks like "restaurant ware" - also used in institutional settings, like colleges, fraternity/sorority houses, clubs.

4. Rick Erfert

I'll have bill shoot me over a full picture.
    Here is another example of what he sent earlier. IMG_06261.jpg

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

BTW, Shenango did not become the property of Anchor Hocking until 1979.

6. Rick Erfert

Full plate picture 6078213021.jpg

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

DizzyDaff and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pattern found in the most discerning homes.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it from the El Tovar Hotel at the Grand Canyon.

https://www.travelcaffeine.com/el-tovar-hotel-review/
    [​IMG]

Another example of your plate.
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fred-harvey-el-tovar-hotel-az-service-1822419898

upload_2020-4-5_21-6-20.png
    From the listing, don't know if it's all correct.

FRED HARVEY ~ EL TOVAR HOTEL AZ SERVICE PLATE ~ Shenango China Syracuse RAILROADUp for sale is a hard-to-find, vintage 10 1/2" Service Plate made for the EL TOVAR HOTEL located on the rim of the Grand Canyon. This lion & knight and dragon head crest can be seen on the El Tovar sign hanging over the entrance of the hotel.Fred Harvey, famous for his eating houses along the Santa Fe Railroad route & on the ATSF Santa Fe dining cars (and of course the Harvey Girls), used this El Tovar crest china pattern in the dining rooms at the El Tovar Hotel's restaurant on the rim of the Grand Canyon in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona.Built & owned by the Santa Fe Railroad at a cost of $250,000 with local stone by Hopi Indian craftsmen, the hotel opened in 1905 & rooms are furnished in the Mission Style. Fred Harvey, with his ties to Santa Fe dining operations, was the obvious choice for Santa Fe to manage the Hotel.This rarely seen pattern features a wide black band surrounded by gold pinstripes with the center El Tovar crest.Plate is in good condition with moderate use marks. No chips, cracks or crazing. Some pinstripe wear mainly to the outer gold pinstripe. Shiny glaze surface. Marked on the back as shown with the Shenango China Syracuse China product backstamp.Shenango China of New Castle, Pennsylvania (no longer in business)was a major US supplier of heavy-weight commercial restaurant ware & topmarked logo china to railroads, steamships, hotels & diners and company cafeterias as well as to all branches of the US Military. In the mid 1980's Shenango China was bought by Syracuse China of Syracuse, NY. The New Castle, PA plant was closed & all operations moved to the Syracuse, New York factory

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

D***, girl... You've done it again. Never would have associated that crest with El Tovar. Still use basic design but have tarted it up some.

Debora

photo-of-dinner-plate.jpg

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And naughty, naughty person who stole a dinner plate. Most people satisfy themselves with an ash tray.

Debora

Tanya, Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There seem to have been a number of earlier designs used at El Tovar.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Ohbiscuits

Ohbiscuits New Member

I’m not sure if this is inappropriate for this site so feel free to tell me to get lost. Is this plate for sale? I would love to purchase it. My partner worked at El Travar about thirty years ago. He has always joked about owning one of their China plates. Maybe this could be real. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@Ohbiscuits
    Please make offers to buy and Sell via Private Conversation.

DizzyDaff and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted