Featured Ancient Looking Guan Yin? ( Broken off )

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN, Jul 13, 2019.

1. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN Contemporary Visual Artist, Female

Hi all,

Got this as part of the collection and it has a very old style to it. Not very sure of the material however it does glisten. Very heavy and it has remains of gilt left on the face neck and hands.

Legs are missing as it appears to be broken off. It cannot rest in a standing position as such I placed it flat on my carpet.

Any extra information will be much appreciated

Measurements

Height: 92cm
    Base breadth: 21cm
    Midway breadth: 28cm
    Width: 12cm
    Weight: about 36kg IMG_8106.jpg IMG_8107.jpg IMG_8108.jpg IMG_8112.jpg IMG_8114.jpg IMG_8122.jpg IMG_8130.jpg IMG_8132.jpg IMG_8138.jpg IMG_8139.jpg

Lucille.b, kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Yashini, and you're right, Guanyin.
    To me the style looks like Sui dynasty, 581-618, and possibly sandstone. It would have been brightly painted with a gilded face and hands.
    I am no expert, and can't examine it, so I recommend taking it to a museum.
    The Sui dynasty was the predecessor of the more famous Tang dynasty. The Sui style varies from very Chinese looking to a bit more Indian influenced.

This is an old photo of a Sui-early Tang Guanyin from the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum in London:

[​IMG]
    http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O130438/the-bodhisattva-guanyin-holding-a-figure-unknown/

More Sui Guanyins:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...g_and_pigment_-_Sackler_Museum_-_DSC02426.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_dynasty#/media/File:Cernuschi_Museum_20060812_111.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  3. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

@Any Jewelry Thank you so much, much appreciated. I am so thrilled to read what you have shared. I had a hunch that she might be old but this is amazing and yes, she is a beauty!

The info is really helpful, I will probably approach the Asian Civilisation Museum here for a check :D

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

And you will check back in to let us know, won't you?:)

6. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Yes, indeed!

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

I sure will keep you guys posted! :)

Jivvy, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  8. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

9. Any Jewelry

Yes, same style, with that fitted waist and the way the necklace is draped.
    They used different stones, just like in other periods. They are all lovely, aren't they, that shape and stylization has such constrained elegance. Strange term maybe, you heard it first on Antiquers.;)

10. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

A piece that I absolutely fell in love with after a long time :) Very grateful for all the help I have received here so far... haha it sure is!

Mugzinnys and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted