Ancient pottery shard or ???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe777, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Joe777

Joe777 Active Member

C593DCE4-F686-46EA-ACC6-4ADFE8106BBF.jpeg 2E050D53-A6C1-4F4A-BCC8-E0A6D6B70741.jpeg 463A73A7-9B12-43AB-B3D1-2E8DFEACED4C.jpeg 405A2F4C-8FB4-4888-ABFD-009539B7DE24.jpeg 2871A9D0-0324-4D6B-82EF-1845FA24A247.jpeg Not sure what this is. I found this many years ago when I was a kid playing, building forts and I remember finding it randomly pretty close to the seine river in st.boniface, Winnipeg Manitoba. It was about 10-12” beneath the surface. It looks like a shard from a bowl or maybe someone gave up making an arrowhead?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Should add that it probably is old, but not ancient.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Joe777

Joe777 Active Member

maybe ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Renee Yancy

Renee Yancy Active Member

Could be petrified wood.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Joe777

Joe777 Active Member

I’m not sure about that, I’m thinking it may be a chunk of sewer pipe like cluttered closet suggested. It is not as dark in person, it is definitely lighter

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It does look like a sherd of ceramic - been kicking around for some time, to get that worn on the edges. Not Native American/first Nations, though. Too non-porous. Prehistoric North American ceramics are lower fired, and look more like "dog biscuit".

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Flower pot bit that's eroded in the river. On the coast you find lots of stuff like that on the beach.

Pat Dennis and all_fakes like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Some type of redware, could easily be an old flower pot.

DrPam, Pat Dennis and all_fakes like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not ancient, but yes to pottery. I used to find a lot of pieces like that out on the heathland near us. Just pieces of old pots, pretty, but not ancient.
    I also found some Stone Age tools, but that is a different story.;)

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice coin though....

12. Joe777

Joe777 Active Member

Okay thanks for the thoughts guys. I’m just bored at home.. I had to throw in something a bit nice for a size comparison

13. phi

phi New Member

Don't know if your discussion is still active, but for what its worth, I disagreed with the others. I've lived and worked for many years in Israel, participating on digs in both amateur and professional capacity. My field is archaeological architecture and I am not an expert on pottery, though I know many who are, but this piece is definitely a shard and looks very much like the older pieces found in the Middle East. The turning marks are very rough but clearly visible. Its thick, and the finish is well worn. It is definitely old. Have you compared it with known tribal pottery from this region?

Renee Yancy likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

let's see if @Joe777 has dug out from the snow....or wrung out from the rain...

:playful::playful:

15. Renee Yancy

It's always been a dream of mine to volunteer on a dig in Israel but at my age my old bones wouldn't be able to tolerate it.

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Renee I don't know anything about you but I have been an archaeology volunteer and maybe can offer some encouragement. I don't know about Israel but there are many jobs in archaeology that need doing that don't require hefty physical labor.

After taking a break for several years I'm back one day a week at a site and even with age and injuries I am holding up to light work and paperwork (which is endless).

I've put in thousands of hours in the field and lab at various sites and if you like tedium and mysteries, it might be for you:).

17. Renee Yancy

18. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Expanded shale maybe?

Draft saved Draft deleted