Featured And another shawl. Polish?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Ownedbybear, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Paging @Any Jewelry Or anyone else!

What do you think on this one? Seller thought it was Polish. Lovely fine wool.

F61B (2).jpg F61A (2).jpg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Definitely reminds me of the Polish shawls we had when I was growing up. My father was from Poland. :)
    I suppose it could also be Ukrainian or even Russian… I don’t know the intricacies of design identification, hopefully someone else here does. These are still being made today.
    Lovely!

3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Just beautiful and Eastern European for sure. My mother was Ukrainian and Romanian and had similar pieces from her mother so my first thought is east of Poland but beautiful regardless of where it was made.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I grew up as part Russian until I became part Ukrainian…

pearlsnblume, Debora and bluumz like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Thanks ladies!

reader, pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My great aunt had a similar shawl but in black. I am part Russian too.

reader likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I've got a black one somewhere. Ma bought it second hand before WW2.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. pearlsnblume

I forgot to say that that Great Aunt with the scarf came over from Russia as well.
    Didn't get along too well with that bunch of the family but I have to give them their due for making a new life in a foreign land speaking no English and starting with bupkis.

Ownedbybear and reader like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

My maternal grandfather fled Kiev with his older brothers when he was 12. Came with nothing and became a very successful art dealer.

Ownedbybear and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

I think some of my relatives fled Kiev too but I am not sure. I should have written things down.
    That great aunt became a doctor here.

Ownedbybear and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted