Featured And So to Bed......The Final Tour

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It's taken awhile, but we're finally at the threshold of the master bedroom, the final frontier. Thanks for taking this tour with me; it's been a blast!

Here's our bed, a mahogany piece by R. J. Horner of New York ca. 1890. Two mini marble-top parlor tables serve as nightstands. On the wall is a leaded glass window from a house Ms. Ghopper once lived in, now sadly demolished. The trunk is ca. 1880: when we got it it was covered in paint and the handles were cut from old seatbelts. Yes, you read that right!
    1.jpg
    Next is a walnut dresser ca. 1880. No big deal, a fairly typical middle class piece. The interesting part is that it has wire mesh tacked across the bottom to discourage mice. Believe it or not it took allot of work to get it to look this good! Among other things, those are family perfume bottles on top. That's a signed Bradley & Hubbard Kissing Dutch children door stop ca. 1930.
    2.jpg
    Here's our old friend, a Globe-Wernicke oak bookcase ca. 1915. Next to it is a metal and onyx plant stand with one of two fully articulated bronze dolphin cradles supporting a Waterford vase from the early 20th century; the other is on a pier mirror behind the front door. The lower vase is contemporary. 3.jpg
    This is s a walnut armoire ca. 1875 with plenty of burl. It's got about 5 linsey-woolsy blankets folded on top. The table is an unsigned Herter Brothers library table, with a simple walnut chair that's been in the family since the 1880s. The table supports a 1930s slag glass lamp, brass and marble greyhound bookends ca. 1925, and a ca. 1900 family ink set. The rug is needlepoint with monkeys from Nieman-Marcus, so not old. 4.jpg
    The dresser was made in New York and dated 1867 by a previous owner, who wrote her story out underneath one of the marble tops in 1936. The large marble piece has a "Buess Marble Works" stamp; they were located on New York's Lower East Side. We wrote our portion of the dresser's story out under one of the other marble pieces. The figure dressed in Victorian splendor is D.A. Bywaters, a bespectacled rabbit. He sits on a German Black Forest musical chair ca. 1880. It still works.
    5.jpg
    And last we come to a walnut washstand ca. 1860. On it we find a tin French Art Nouveau lamp with a glass shade stamped "Muller Freres." ca. 1900. To the left is a French flambe vase ca. 1870, with a couple of small bud vases behind them. The walnut armchair may be by Berkey & Gay ca. 1885. Toucan Sam ca. 1970 surveys the room, wishing for a bowl of Fruitloops.
    6.jpg

FIN!!

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Spectacular as usual!! :happy::happy::happy:

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The walnut armoire is spectacular!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

spectacular.................:)

5. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

WOW! GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing all of your gorgeous antiques with us! I loved the tours!

Boland, Aquitaine, ulilwitch and 5 others like this.
  6. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

@Ghopper1924 Absolutely beautiful, I am speechless, I absolutely enjoyed viewing every single one of your unmistakably beautiful antiques, and the accents & surroundings they are presented in. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Another gorgeous room, Gh. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the tours and thank you for taking the time to post.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tour. Your home is lovely, each and every room looks peaceful and calming and many of us can use that right now.

Did someone say Fruit Loops??? Yum

9. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Everything was so lovely in all the tours I can imagine how beautiful they are in person. All the history you know of each piece is astounding to me. Aren’t your ancestors lucky to have the two of you who appreciate and lovingly care for them.

Rob Langdon, FishLure, Boland and 5 others like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Love the rabbit! Another fascinating collection of items to live with everyday!

11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow,very impressive and beautiful!

12. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Totally awesome, here and in the other tours. Thanks a ton for sharing!

13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed seeing the tours. You have a lovely home with exquisite taste! Beautiful antiques, carefully chosen. Especially impressed that you brought many of the pieces back to life. Bravo!

14. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I love everything about what you two have done.

15. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

Gorgeous Gh. Thank you so much for all the reviews and the history and attention to detail! @Sabre - love your dog:)

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The armoire is to DIE FOR!!!!!!!!!!! SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!! But each and every tour you have taken us on just shows us how much you love what you have, and how much you love what you've done!! You've a home to be proud of!! WELL DONE, Mr. Gh!! WELL DONE!! Nearly forgot....THANK YOU SO MUCH for your amazing tours!!

17. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The pleasure is all mine. Love ya!

18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

This is marvelous!!!!!

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  19. catznpigz

catznpigz Member

Thank you for this. It is good to see such beautiful pieces in place in a real home!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

All around an excellent and impressive collection. The bed in particular is magnificent; but are you not sometimes tempted to exchange for one that is king or queen sized for a night or two?

Draft saved Draft deleted