And Yet another Sherman Brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MMarkussen, Mar 16, 2021.

1. MMarkussen

MMarkussen Member

I've come across four so far... only 75 more (give or take a few) to go through!

sherman 1.jpg sherman back for 1.jpg

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The stones would be called Aurora Borealis & they were big in the 1950s to 1970s.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Found this blurb a long time ago, but didn't keep a record of the source:
    Truly some of the finest rhinestone jewelry, manufactured in Canada from 1947 to 1981 by Gustave Sherman. Sherman jewelry is appreciated for its quality which featured the use of Swarovski stones and crystals, famous for the sparkle, glitter and brilliance on each piece which seldom dulls with age.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    cxgirl, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  4. MMarkussen

MMarkussen Member

I'm curious to try to clean some of these but I want to be sure I don't damage them in any way. Are they more valuable if I don't clean them?

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You may want to hold off on cleaning them until some of the costume jewelry gurus can give you some advice. You could potentially ruin any value if you use the wrong methods of cleaning.

@Ownedbybear @Marie Forjan @evelyb30

I know I am forgetting others but these three will definitely be able to help you out.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have at with an old toothbrush, dry, first. It takes off a fair bit of gunk. Some folks use a q-tip dunked in rubbing alcohol for stubborn yuck or makeup or whatever. Others use ammonia. I usually leave it for the buyer. :)

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if yer selling em.........leave em alone..

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

DO NOT GET RHINESTONES WET!!!!!!!! Liquid getting on the backs of the stones can cause the foil backing to break down, thus you get blackened rhinestones. This does not happen right away, it happens over time.

I clean rhinestones first with a soft, dry brush. Then I take a very soft toothbrush, dunk it in alcohol, shake it almost all off and go over the stones. Using an almost dry toothbrush helps make sure the foil backs don't get wet. Then I make sure it's thoroughly dry using a hairdryer on the cool setting.

Some people use Q-tips instead of a toothbrush but I find it doesn't get into tight spaces as well and can leave behind "hairs" when the stones are prong set.

Be careful of the AB rhinestones, the effect is a surface treatment and can scratch easily.

Whatever you do, do it gently :)

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted