Featured Aneroid Barometer -- A Failed Apprentice’s Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Phil Douglas, Dec 22, 2019.

?

Is it a reject which has been sold as a second?

1. There is a simpler explanation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It accounts for the fluctuations in atmospheric pressure when an explorer falls into a black hole

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. It is as you suggest

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

I bought this barometer because of the glaringly obvious mistake on the face. The numbers represent atmospheric pressure in inches of mercury, and go from 24 to 31. There are subdivisions between each inch in tenths of an inch. Between 27 and 30 inches the tenths are marked normally: 27.0, 27.1, 27.2 … 27.9, 28.0 and so on.

But below 27 inches someone has made a dreadful gaffe! The scale goes from 26.0 to 26.9, then 26.8, … 26.1, and then 27.0. The dial is so meticulously engraved (is that the right word?), it is crystal clear and easy to read 1/100 of an inch with a magnifying glass. But after all that work, which must have taken hours, it was a reject.

When I opened it up I had hoped to find a maker’s mark, some indication of where it was made a when. If anyone can help me with that question, I will be very grateful.

My guess is that the amount of work already put into the dial had made it worth putting it into a functioning barometer – it was that or throw the thing away. But the manufacturer was not prepared to sell it under their name. I imagine the poor apprentice who had already wasted so much of his time was told to remove any trace of his employers’ name. It could then be assembled to make a second grade item to be sold off cheaply. I've put a photo of what might be a blotted out mark which was on the back of the face.

The only alternative is to suggest that the mistake was not noticed by anyone, and the maker never put their name on their produce anyhow. I don’t think that’s likely, but I don’t know anything about antique aneroid barometers.

So that’s why I’m asking you.

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%; }a:link { color: rgb(0, 0, 128); text-decoration: underline; }

Attached Files:

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Very neat thing. The last photo does look like someone spent a lot of time erasing the name. Sorry I can't help. Hopefully someone here can.

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

In think that you are right

judy likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

So you are looking for a maker with a short mark - maybe a name, since the first character seems to be a cap.

i need help likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

i need help likes this.
  6. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Phil Douglas

Phil Douglas Member

Paul Kembery of KD Clocks came back with this comment: I have had engraved clock dials before with an error but have not seen one on a barometer yet. I would agree that it was too much work to scrap it and start again! So thanks for the advice to contact him.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for the follow-up. Looks like you've got a real curiosity!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted