Angelica Kauffmann Porcelain Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by WRabbit, Mar 22, 2016.

1. WRabbit

WRabbit New Member

I have a small collection of porcelain plates and recently purchased one at a local estate sale. It's mounted in a display case (sealed back), thus the bottom of the plate is not visible. The ornate case is very well made and the plate appears to be professionally mounted. I don't feel it's wise at this point to remove the backing to look for an identifying mark, but I think this may be inevitable.

The artist is Angelica Kauffmann (signed Kauffman). She didn't actually paint the plate, but others honored her works by using her images on other items, such as porcelain. I believe Royal Vienna was one of the factories that produced items bearing these images. I've determined the original painting was titled "Wreathed by Perfection". However, I have not found a plate similar to this one as far as shape, porcelain pattern or size.

I'll add a few pictures and appreciate any info or feedback that may be helpful with identifying this plate. It's 12" wide and approximately 1.5" deep. I guess it could be considered a shallow bowl.

Any help with identification appreciated.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like a Franklin Mint type of thing from the 70s when 'collector's plates' were very popular.
    The current values are minimal because like all made for collectors items there is no real interest in the secondary market once the fashion passes.

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like a 'Royal Vienna' style cabinet plate, the center is a transfer rather than hand-painted, it's probably from right around the early 20th century, and wouldn't be surprised to see a fake Royal Vienna beehive/shield mark. They were made by a number of European factories, not sure there'd be much purpose in taking apart the fancy framing, which probably gives it a bit more value, to try and determine which manufacturer might have produced it...

~Cheryl

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I've never seen a framed plate... but... nice idea. Very polished, restrained.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Jim - it's a lovely piece. As Cheryl noted the key is determining whether the plate is hand painted or transfer printed. I also believe it's a transfer and post WWII. I have a large collection of Limoges plates and these were sometimes mounted by a home decor company and labeled on the back. One of the problems is that the framing styles tend to come and go. The framing on your plate looks fairly modern to me. Fortunately the colors on yours are neutral. I've got some mounted plates where the framing may have been stylish in their time but now are, quite frankly, ghastly.

Also note the border. A Royal Vienna plate would normally have a much more heavily decorated border. The bubble decoration just screams post WWII to me. Still it's a beautiful plate and large size. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Limoges but I suspect it's of German manufacture. Is it worth taking apart to find out? These Angelica Kauffmann and Fragonard style plates are out of style right now and I don't think it would help the value to disassemble it. It might even hurt the value. Better to enjoy it as it is. It looks very nice in its current condition and location. JMHO.
    Don

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2016-3-23_10-28-26.png

The signature is wrong.
    And are those dots in the brown whatever it is between the feet?

The plate itself is done with heavier gold than the normal transfer plates. But as Don noted not as heavy as a Royal Vienna.

I think it is an attractive plate, displayed in an attractive manner. You should enjoy it. I personally would not take it apart unless your curiosity just has to be satisfied.

7. WRabbit

WRabbit New Member

I'm familiar with Franklin Mint. Don't they usually put their name/logo on items they produce? I have not found any sign of a removed plaque or sticker.

Thanks for the input, Cheryl. Most of the Kauffman(n) porcelain I've seen onlne have fake marks. In fact, I've seen so many variations I'm not sure I'd recognize a real one.

It appears to be a transfer with painted highlights, if there is such a thing.

I was confused at first. However, after some research I found the following:

There are various spellings of her name. The artist herself adapted her name and its spelling to the country in which she was living at the time. The accepted convention in the German-speaking sphere is Maria Anna Angelika Catharina Kauffmann, and in the English-speaking sphere, Angelica Kauffman.

Source: http://www.angelica-kauffman.com/en/vita/schreibweise-des-namens/

Kauffman is the preferred spelling of her name in English; it is the form she herself used most in signing her correspondence, documents and paintings.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelica_Kauffman

The original oil on canvas was done in 1780, during her time in London, thus the single N in her last name.

8. WRabbit

WRabbit New Member

Someone suggested I take the display to a professional framer and have them open it to expose the plate for photo purposes and then have them reseal it. Any thoughts on this?

Jim

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it will be that easy. There may be a strong adhesive holding the plate to the back. It may not be possible to look at the bottom of the plate without damaging the back.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted