Anglo Saxon Viking ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Brubaker50, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

I have an ancient openwork plaque wondered if could be Anglo Saxon or Viking, has anyone seen the pattern. 55694939-3921-4C41-B4C9-13815A157C2E.jpeg

Darkwing Manor and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't even know where to start. What's it made of? What size is it? Where did you get it? What were you told about it? Why do your think it's Anglo Saxon Viking? (I assume there's an "or" in there.) Can you post a photograph of the back? Frankly, doesn't look that old. And it does look machine-made. Sure it isn't a trivet?

Debora

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

A trivet's what I was thinking! Can you tell us what it says around it?? AT LEAST it SURE looks like writing in the lower LEFT corner!!! Still don't have a size????

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Fancy manhole drain cover? (size???):smuggrin:

Christmasjoy and patd8643 like this.
  5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

This Brubaker pony is on an Anglo Saxon Viking thing. You obviously have a vision, but you will need to share more visuals and more concrete information if you want us to "see" it with you.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

waste of time.......
    don't u guys hate fighting to get information .....:mad:

7. Brubaker50

Apologies you guys I know you thrive on facts just threw it out there to see if anyone recognised the pattern.Made from bronze and copper size is 5cms square .will post better photos shortly thank you for looking.

kyratango likes this.
  8. Brubaker50

Here are some of its friends, B19E04B6-EDCB-4249-A56F-233406D1973F.jpeg 4487C170-E7F3-4F82-BFB1-D1842C7916A5.jpeg

9. Brubaker50

10. Brubaker50

Another piece I’m trying to figure out . C82E6C6C-A2D7-4718-AAFD-B43E8D8C2D31.jpeg

11. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Excuse my American education, but isn't 5cm square very very small? Or is it just very small at 5cm for each side...meaning 25cm square?

Regardless, blooey, I am pretty sure now it is not a manhole cover.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

What material is your miniature manhole cover made of?
    It is pretty, and has some nice friends too.
    Size would be nice.;)
    They remind me of the lower part of this, an early 7th century fibula. This one happens to be Frisian (Netherlands), but they were made by other Germanic peoples as well.
    [​IMG]

Darkwing Manor and kyratango like this.
  13. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Block answer: The first image, squarish 5 cm ea side I expect(?), appears to be a vented cover for something used on an early-era farm. Perhaps it belonged on a well, a pipe somewhere. The other wrought iron and/or bronze implements are likewise bits and pieces as used in an early farming household, hooks for hanging stuff on, spikes for holding things in place. Think stables, barns, even early kitchens where nail-like implements were used to hold roasts in place over the fire. If anyone says early weaponry they're probably right too. And, as someone already pointed out, the Anglo Saxons were not the Vikings. Different folks.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Brubaker50

The manhole cover is 5 centimetres each side, looks like a bronze sheet with hand punched holes and the back looks like a separate piece made from copper .Looks like two pieces of metal married.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, @lizjewel, your thoughts seem to make a whole lot more sense!!!! Lovely avatar too, I'd like to add!!!:):)

Brubaker50 likes this.
  16. Brubaker50

Other pieces are Anglo Saxon dot pins, theres a Celtic bronze brooch there not showing clearly .Each a work of art on its own from the tiniest to the largest.

kyratango likes this.
  17. Brubaker50

Something else that has me stumped if anyone can recognise what these were for Size is just over 5 cms by 2.5 cms wide , thank you all the replies and looking thank you. 45C5D3A2-2DE5-4C9D-A376-B180C9A289D8.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are Damascene pieces,one appears the have a "bird" and key design.Hard to say which culture they belong to since Damascene has been around since the 8th century.

19. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Thank you for compliments, Brubaker! The picture just above showing three items has me thinking pendants. Are the tops looped over to allow inserting a snood, rope, chain, cord? The lower two may be what I call early ID cards. They were issued to announce to others who the wearer was, his profession, specialty skills.

When people could not read, or even had a written language (except for the very learned as in the clergy, academia), the pendant around the neck told people who the wearer was, what he could do.

The figure in the last one, bottom right, appears to be some kind of lizard or scorpion. Maybe the wearer was the local exterminator? [Jus' kiddin..] More likely the shaman who knew how to use animals to concoct potions. Perhaps it's a dragon? Your guess is probably better than mine.

I can't quite make out what the center design in the top piece represents. If I were to make an off-the-wall guess, it looks to me like a stylization of the classical Irish harp. You know, the one on the Guiness bottles? Perhaps this ID tag belonged to an early local brewer... Guesses, people?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  20. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If might be helpful if you explained where these objects came from. They look like archeological finds that someone has cleaned up.
    The two rectangular items in the last pic look Chinese, based on the decoration - I believe the one on the right shows a figure of a bat.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.