Featured "Anna Van" Briggle pieces - what are they?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Sep 21, 2017.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

What in the world are these? They are 6" high, 4.75" wide from handle to lip, and approx 3.5" in diameter at the lower half.

They look like a pitcher, but you can't pour from them. The handles are hollow, with openings at the top, at the middle near the center hole, and also a drain hole down inside the body.

I know the Anna Van pieces were sometimes made using Dryden molds, but I've also been unable to find a match there. Anyone know?

IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

To start, they are honey jugs.

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

4. UncleChuckTX

Thank you, Janet. That article is where I learned about the Dryden connection - my book only gives the Anna Van dates of production and three glaze colors, but doesn't show any examples or mention Dryden at all ("Collector's Encyclopedia of Van Briggle" by Sasicki & Fania).

I'll try searching the honey jug keywords and see what I come up with. I just can't picture this being used for anything you have to pour. The way the bulb on the bottom is molded, liquid doesn't come out in a controlled manner even with channel that leads to the lip. Honey is a little thicker, though, so maybe it would work?

Thanks again!

5. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

When I first saw these pics, the glaze technique reminded me of Blue Mountain pottery from Canada.

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I always assumed these jugs were primarily decorative. Far too impractical to use.
    Don

7. UncleChuckTX

I agree, Don. I had a heck of a time rinsing these out. You tilt them, thinking the water will run out the spout, but instead it just goes everywhere.

I did find a couple called honey jugs / honey pitchers. But I also stumbled across an entry at the Kansas Historical Society which has a Dryden example it calls an "ivy vase". That doesn't quite make sense either. Perhaps I'll come across a photo of one being used for ivy.

http://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/dryden-pottery/10356

(The piece is shown in the photo gallery.)

The other thing I wonder is if the hollow handles and openings in the handles are intended for a certain use, or just incidental from the mold / a way to save clay and reduce production costs / a way to keep the clay thin so it fires evenly, etc.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I suppose I could see using them to root ivy cuttings. Can't help with the handles and openings though. Way above my expertise level.
    Don

9. UncleChuckTX

Mine too - that's why I'm so confused! :hilarious:

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Puriton made a lot of these or similar. This one is from Etsy

12. UncleChuckTX

Thanks for finding that. Looks like I might have to buy a small jar of honey and test how well mine pours.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted