Another African Stylized Female Figure; Similar, But Not

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wlwhittier, May 18, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

She is ~14½" tall, ~6" across her hair, ~4⅜" across her arms; weight is ~199 grams.

The previously post's referenced symbols (on the back of her head) have 2 vs her 3 lines, and pointed inner ends vs curved... Gotta be some hierarchical significance there, I believe.

This seems a much more sophisticated rendition of the (otherwise quite similar) previous effigy. Granted there are no beads, nor other decorative flourishes...but are they different due to being separated in time, or geography...or culture? Their fundamental symbolic similarities are most intriguing to my unskilled mind.

All illumination of these, their cultural origins and/or indicators of age, etc will be very gratefully received and acknowledged...and Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_9275.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9273.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9270.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9272.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9271.jpeg

Born2it and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

same as my other post.....but this puppy shows more age and correct styling

Potteryplease likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Deleted . Mistake.

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Your carvings are Akua'ba figures, made by the Akan people from Ghana.

That includes several tribes and bands, with the Ashanti and Fanti tribes the best known, and both of whom make Akua'ba. The main difference is that, traditionally, the Ashanti tribe's Akua'ba had round heads, while in the Fanti tribe they had rectangular heads.

I agree, today Akua'ba are primarily a tourist item, and often feature beads, since they are associated with African items. So Akua'ba now can be made just about anywhere, as a "symbol" associated with Africa in general.

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thank you...Excellent and very helpful comments! I am Grateful!

Born2it likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted