Another basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by J Dagger, Jan 9, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

3B9D4283-2F2A-4ADA-9179-AACD3259AF8F.jpeg 2C7CA889-60C4-4DE2-9383-440FC365D9E8.jpeg 4A52657C-11B2-4124-8D69-993C7C1394E2.jpeg Would like help identifying this little lidded basket. Looks like it had some fabric sewn onto the lid at some point. I’ve trimmed the loose string up a bit since photos were taken.

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It appears to be partly made from raffia (I say "partly" since there is no way to tell what the underlying coils are actually made from), and the stitches used to join the coils are not typical of any Native American tribe, so I would say this was probably made by a hobby craftsperson.

In addition, the stitching isn't very regular or well-done, an indication of either poor craftsmanship, or the work of a relatively inexperienced weaver.

There are so many "how to" lessons on line and in books these days, that it is unlikely you will be able to identify who made it, or where it is from.

J Dagger and Potteryplease like this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the smaller the basket, the more snakes you would need? (I'm wondering what happened to basket inhabitant 3 from the right. I thinks he may have eaten a DECON rat)

[​IMG]

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OR just napping??

Rayo56 likes this.
  5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oh, snakes are very sensitive to vibrations - I think Himjab may have made a snake casserole

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'd like to watch the guy getting the lids back on those tiny baskets.

Boland likes this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,that would be interesting

Bronwen likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Charming.............isn't he !!

:playful::inpain:

all_fakes, BoudiccaJones and Bronwen like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I watched them do that in Thailand. They just move very slowly while distracting them. We were up close and personal there. They have almost no public safety laws.

Draft saved Draft deleted