Another brooch... possible maker's mark?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Batman_2000, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

So... as if I don't have enough 'stuff' from clearing my parents house, I spotted this little brooch in a charity shop this morning and couldn't resist. Looks like malachite, and it was pretty dirty, but a quick clean has brought it up nicely.

The construction looks fairly crude, so I was surprised to find marks on the pin... apologies for the photos but it's the best I can do, since the marks are so tiny. Does anyone recognise them? Looks like 'PS', although I could be reading it upside-down, with another mark that I can't make out at all. Any help appreciated!

Also, can anyone recommend a loupe for reading these kinds of teeny tiny marks? I've a x4 which isn't strong enough, and a x10 that I find difficult because the focus is only right in the centre. I see lots of cheap ones on eBay but would rather pay a little more for better (reliable) quality :).

brooch.jpg

brooch7.jpg

brooch2.jpg brooch4.jpg brooch6.jpg

Makanudo and KingofThings like this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

So it "Looks like 'PS'," but you think you "could" be reading it upside down.

If you are reading it upside down, then turned right side up it would read "Sd" -- have you also looked for an "Sd"? And yes, upside down it would be a capital "S" and a lower-case "d." :confused:

Thanks for getting my "mental gymnastics" out of the way so early this morning. ;) :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

1 2 repeat...

Batman_2000 likes this.
  4. Batman_2000

Haha, happy to oblige!!!

Thanks for your suggestion... nothing on 'Sd' so far but I'll keep looking ;-)

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add about the marks, but that is one very pretty pin!

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect that's silver. I use a x30 loupe and also own a USB microscope.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I too suspect some level of silver there...

KingofThings and Batman_2000 like this.
  8. Batman_2000

Thank you :). I like the idea of a microscope!

I hope the brooch is silver. I suspect the shop didn't realise, because I got it for almost nothing and feel a little guilty!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

Do not feel guilty....feel empowered !;)

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The only part of that other mark that I have any thoughts on is that there seems to be part of an 8. Whether that means 800 silver or something else entirely, I have no idea.

Batman_2000, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

It's too faded to see......but definitely a second punch mark......& likely the silver content....

12. Batman_2000

On close inspection the safety clasp looks quite fragile, with the inner 'half' in danger of coming off (there's a tiny crack at the base, where it joins the body of the brooch) :-(.

Still, it could make a great pendant...

KingofThings likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's probably silver and definitely malachite. That's a silver mark on the pin stem, but bedarned if I can remember whose. It's almost a tube hinge, but not quite, and that's ringing bells too. Persia? Russia? Check this site and see if it's there somewhere. That looks mighty familiar. http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.html

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If your budget for a loupe is small, I've been using a plastic one that I bought almost 15 years ago that was really inexpensive but works well. Mine has two lenses, a 4x and a 6x, and you can combine them to have 10x. I couldn't find one that's just like mine, but this one is close...

http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h203015tl

15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOOOOOOOOO....... BOO!
    I was just in storage and what did I just find... Exactly that one Pat!!!

Pat P and Batman_2000 like this.
  16. Batman_2000

Thanks :). I spent yesterday evening browsing that site but still didn't see a similar mark. I'll keep looking!

That looks great! I was worried about buying a cheap one but I'll just go-for-it.... can't lose much and must be better than struggling!

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I have looked in at this thread off and on since it was posted hoping to come up with the maker. Needless to say no luck. There are several American jewelers using a type of PS mark, but can't find one using this particular PS in a diamond. Here are the ones I found:

Plainville Stock Co. - since 1884: mark is P.S. Co.
    7th down:
    http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksp.html

General Chain Co., Providence, has had several marks with one of their earliest a triangle-hexagon type shape with S.P. in it.
    6th down on the right:
    http://www.chicagosilver.com/jmarks6.htm

The following company marks are all on this webpage:
    http://www.chicagosilver.com/jmarks12.htm
    1. Peckham Seamless Ping Mfg. Co,: diamond with an "S" in it.
    5th mark down on right:
    2. Perelman & Son: Squatty wide diamond with "P 14K S," the 14K
    written sideways.
    7th mark down on the right.
    3. Phoel & Schaller: <P-S> the P and S are stylized.
    9th mark down on the right.
    4. Oscar E. Place & Sons Co.: P & S
    10th mark down on the right.

Did a closeup of the pin markings. I couldn't get any better pics than yours. At times I think I see the right edge of the number "8" followed by an 0 or G. Then the next moment, what 1st looked like the side of an 8 may be three circles rather than 2 circles that an 8 would have. If there is other markings on the pic, the markings are running around the pin rather than straight down like the "PS." At this point I'm not sure if there is anything else on that pin but the PS.

--- Susan

brooch7-combo.jpg

brooch7-comboR.jpg

18. Batman_2000

Thank you, Susan! I've checked all your links :). The second mark is quite 'fine', and looks like a rectangle (possibly) with writing in it. But the long edges are missing. You're right about there being three 'circles', which could be the top of letters or numbers, and a G (?) which resembles a Q or even a C sometimes when I look at it!

So frustrating!

Something else frustrating... the clasp fell off... it was fragile as I've mentioned, and more than I realised. I actually wonder if the clasp, and maybe even the hinge, were added at some point. The workmanship just isn't as good as the rest of the piece. Such a pity, but it'll definitely be worn as a pendant from now on :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think it makes a sweet necklace!

Draft saved Draft deleted