Another Chinese Piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Daniel G, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

Picked up this flambe glazed 12” vase today but could use some assistance deciphering the mark. Vintage but not antique?

D5F2A33A-3BE8-4D79-8258-9488BA856A91.jpeg 16C3D019-1FD0-4435-9453-6FF4EFC4CED2.jpeg 9503A8ED-1F06-4AA4-BA5A-15A358A32EB4.jpeg BC68B867-A88C-4366-9A7A-DFF6BB048FC2.jpeg 5BAECC4E-E1F0-4BCE-9B06-6A26284A3714.jpeg

2. Daniel G

Any thoughts on this?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Agree it is most likely Chinese, but the mark is so "busy" and difficult to read with the flash versus shiny glaze, about the best I can guess is we are looking at an honorific mark style. A beautiful thing, though.

Daniel G likes this.
  4. Daniel G

Thank you baker. Could you please elaborate on “an honorific mark style”? Would a better photo of the bottom be useful? I can try when it arrives. I purchased it at the same auction as the Chinese enamel plate. You would think with all of this interest in Chinese pieces, it may be worth better educating myself!

5. Bakersgma

The Chinese are known for using marks that pay homage to earlier periods by using characters at the start of the mark that translate into phrases like "great Qing" or "great Qianlong." Prior to the 20th century, marks told you the name of the emperor in power when the item was made.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Daniel G

Got ya. Thanks. Are you thinking vintage as well?

7. Bakersgma

They still use these emperor references in marks even though there hasn't been an emperor in over 100 years. The phrases do not tell you when made. And I have no knowledge of when this one could have been made.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted