Another couple pairs of earrings with questions.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Michelle Collins, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Michelle Collins

Michelle Collins Well-Known Member

The first one I 'think' is gold and may be porcelain? It is some kind of glass. And the setting is in pristine condition, I would imagine it is at least the 1950's from what I have learned here. French?

And the second pair, I don't know other than they look asian. Any input would help.

The third pair I think may be ceramic? Leaves look like cherry blossom buds, Japanese, or just trying to be? The backs are chipping as shown in photo. Not sure think they might be ceramic?

Thanks in advance! IMG_20190601_155806961.jpg 2019-06-01-16-04-32-969.jpg 2019-06-01-16-00-27-063.jpg

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    A while back, I had a similar brooch as those earrings. It was signed JJ© on the back and had a safety clasp, so pretty modern.

3. Barn Owl

4. Michelle Collins

Wow is that your brooch?

Barn Owl likes this.
  5. Michelle Collins

\
    The back is much different. You can see the design from the back. But the same exact image. What does that mean? These are not signed I can't find one unless someone can see something I don't. To be honest I don't trust my eyes anymore LOL

Barn Owl likes this.
  6. Michelle Collins

Maybe not exact but pretty damn close!

Barn Owl likes this.
  7. Michelle Collins

Must be a rendition of something much older but I have no idea. @Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Barn Owl

Hmm. Maybe a reproduction of their design.

Michelle Collins likes this.
  9. Michelle Collins

Maybe.

Barn Owl likes this.
  10. Michelle Collins

Ah, I found it 'Repoussé' but I still don't know if it is the same designer or if someone copied it. I have been searching to find anything they produced in this sheet metal. Cant find anything.

11. Michelle Collins

kyratango and Barn Owl like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't think much older. It is inspired by Art Deco, with an Orientalist influence which was also popular during the Art Deco period.
    It doesn't look like an original Art Deco design though, and that type of clip was introduced a little later, I think. Early clips, introduced in the 30s, looked a little different. The costume joolies will know more about that.
    I prefer the backs on yours, repoussé as you said.
    They look much later to me, but again, the costume joolies will know more.
    Those screwbacks were introduced in the 1890s and are still being used. It helps to date jewellery from some regions, but not others. Complicated, I know.:rolleyes::)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Jivvy and Michelle Collins like this.
  13. Michelle Collins

I have been trying to research the different backs but I cant find anywhere with pictures.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The JJ Jonette pieces all seem to be cast and marked, so yours could be copies?

I found this on the original company:
    "The Jonette Jewelry Co. ended production in September, 2006, after 62 years in operation as a family owned private company."
    http://www.vintagejonettejewelry.com/

This site says they started in the 1920s, but the other site is specialized in Jonette, so I am inclined to believe them.
    http://www.sheryls-artdeco.com/jj1.html

More Jonette:
    https://www.sharonsvintagejewelry.com/collections/jj-jonette-jewelry

15. Michelle Collins

I was reading about the company on another site too. About it ending in 2006. Figured that is when they can copy the jewelry?

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

First pair are porcelain painted with forget me nots. Probably 1960s or later. The "JJ" lookie likies are pretty recent from those backs. The enamelled china ones are the oldest, 1960s or 50s.

Draft saved Draft deleted