Featured Another daguerreotype conservation + new photographing technique

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Feb 12, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Worked on another dag today and it turned out nicely. I also developed a new photographing technique to get better images of these! I simply put a piece a black felt with a hole cut out for my phone camera. I then take a flashlight and indirectly shine it on the image which illuminates it brilliantly! The one thing about this dag is that it is missing the top half of the case! Will look for a replacement if possible.
    20200212_153715_resized.jpg 20200212_170316_resized.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Have we seen this before?
    He look familiar.

kyratango likes this.
  3. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

4. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Great Job !

kyratango likes this.
  5. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Yes, a beautiful job. Taking the picture on the black velvet as you say you do is what removes the white spots from the actual photo? Or did you wipe the spots off first?

6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Wow! A great shot.
    He looks like a helluva guy, for sure!

kyratango likes this.
  7. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

The whole thing was taken apart and the image was soaked in distilled water and then dusted vigorously with canned air. Wiping would essentially ruin a daguerreotype! I have also had practice on bad ones before.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

I was not specific about getting the spots off of the daguerreotype. I know not to wipe one those delicate pieces. Was just curious as to whether or not you had done anything else. Thank you for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted