Another Faience Majolica Piece Edited-School Is in Session

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Dec 23, 2019.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

The experts are starting to comment, so I'll update this post as I get more info.

No one has disagreed so far in my claim that it is an authentic piece from the early 1900s.

In keeping with Any Jewelry's, laura 9797, and blooey's advice, and what I had found myself, I think it's safe to say I have a two-handled
    Deruta-style Faience Majolica vase, urn, or jar of medium quality, featuring a bust of a man (likely an Amsterdammer) donned in a large, Ottoman-style turban.

The piece is 10.5" tall and 9" from handle to handle and weighs about 3.25 lbs It's somewhat lustrous, with decorative Renaissance (I think) designs & features. The glaze has variations in thickness, and the bottom ring terracotta bisque has a rougher texture and different color than the rest of the foot. It is glazed inside and out and marked Italy 614 on base/foot.

As far as condition, it has issues commensurate with age, use, and common storage: rim, foot, and body chipping/chips, as well as sporadic dings/dimples and small cracks in the opaque, tin/lead white glaze, exposing the rough earthenware pottery clay base.

I think it's worth a few a few hundred, maybe more. I'm not on this site to sell, but, like most of the pieces I list, s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg I would consider offers, especially from people who are transparent about fair market value and genuinely want the pieces for their private collections.

Thanks for your time and attention. As always, I look forward to and sincerely appreciate any responses.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I don't think I would classify this as a jug but more of a handled urn, vase or jar. I see a lot of Italian pottery and with damage, it is a hard sell.

Bakersgma, Any Jewelry and dude like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Uhmmm.....

Maybe just a man wearing a big, Ottoman style turban?

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

The man is probably from Amsterdam:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dude and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Deruta style pottery, medium quality

dude likes this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Well, I do not have as much experience with pottery as many on this site, but I do buy and sell some italian and other pottery when I find it at a good price, so it is not completely unfamiliar to me. I would see this as being more mid-20th century. And frankly, I think the value of this where I am (northeast, boston area) given decoration and condition is more like $20. If it was in excellent condition and/or had excellent skillful decoration and/or was by a well known italian maker and/or in midcentury design, I could maybe see a few hundred. As it is, with none of those things, I can't see it reaching your valuation (though it doesn't hurt to try :)

Also, it may just be me, but personally I would prefer if you would NOT go back and edit all of your threads. Part of the fun of reading this site is that we can see initial lack of information followed by the back and forth from knowledgeable contributors and thereby end up with a good sense of what something is. If you edit out your question, and replace it with a summary of what some of the contributors have said, then it makes reading the thread kind of like seeing the movie The Sixth Sense after <SPOILER ALERT> someone has told you that Bruce Willis is dead (wait - everyone has seen it by now, haven't they?)

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree, Jeff.

judy, Fid, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

uhh, no..!!:sour:

judy, Jeff Drum and dude like this.
  9. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Mid 20th sounds logical, and I see your point about edited posts, JD. However, I have also seen in my short time on this site that unedited ones can lend themselves to a bit of embarrassment and condescension, neither of which is very "fun" for those at the receiving end. As for $20, seems like a low-ball figure, but hey, what do I know? Thanks for weighing in, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours up in Beantown.

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Not just you, Jeff.
    I never edit my original post. I don't care if anyone thinks my original question looks stupid, it is something I don't know about, and want to know. That's why I ask.
    I edit some of my posts because I notice mistakes, but I never edit as a result of someone else's reply.

I now think, what is the point of replying to the op if it keeps changing, and is no longer the original post.
    People with a funny brain and ADD, like yours truly, are easily confused by all that toing and froing. It is a confusion that can last all day, so it is something I try to avoid in everything I do.

@dude one of my favourite expressions in the Dutch language is 'voortschrijdend inzicht', which means 'steadily advancing insight'.
    That is what many of us get on this site. We start with our basic knowledge, learn from each other, and our insights 'advance' and increase. That is not a process to be embarassed about.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Bakersgma, SBSVC and dude like this.
  11. komokwa

1st person to relpy...hit relpy....and the original post stands..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I see my letter switching is rubbing off on you.:playful: My number one seems to be alwasy instead of always.:rolleyes: But I alwasy relpy.:happy:

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

it happens when i type fast...

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted