Another interesting article on the future of antiques

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jeff Drum, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/arts/design/antiques-home-living.html

Why Are Antiques So Cheap? Because Everyone Lives in the Kitchen

Values for classic antique dining furniture are not set to rise anytime soon, according to Mr. Sivo. “Most of our enquiries come from clients who are 50 years or older, and they’re also the ones who are downsizing and letting things go,” he said. In other words, Bonhams, like so many other auctioneers of antiques, is relying on the same diminishing client base for both buyers and sellers.

2. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

I always say that it's cheaper for the same quality and use to buy antique furniture than new ones, you can buy pine furniture for nothing but Ikea(or others) sold new made copies for a lot of $, if you can explain me how to sold real ones at the same price???

i need help likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I learned that lesson many years ago. I was in B Altman's department store looking for a dresser. The salesman showed me several different styles all around 3 thousand dollars. He then suggested that I go with him to the antique section on another floor. There he showed me several different ones for around 2 thousand dollars. He explained that in ten years time the new ones would be worth 200 hundred dollars and the antique ones would be worth 10 thousand. He was so right. 8 years later I sold the antique dresser for 12 thousand. I doubt the new one would have sold for 100 bucks.
    greg

Lyon, komokwa, mmarco102 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted