Another Interesting Estate Sale

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Alas! Another estate sale that I wish I could attend but can't as it starts on a Thursday (have to work) and is unfortunately too far out of my usual range. Another 4 day sale, must be significantly larger than pictured to justify that.

There are a lot of items that catch my eye from the Weller Pottery on the mantle to the barrister bookcases to the boxes of antique postcards. I always enjoy the auctions/estate sales of historians and university professor types, they always seem to save and preserve some really cool stuff.

What do you see that catches your attention?

Powers, Local Ashland Historian with large postcard collection
    https://www.estatesales.net/KY/Ashland/41101/2726271

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I looked fast, but the Sears vintage Merry Mushroom stuff in the kitchen is collectible still if it is in not chipped condition. I also liked the blue chairs in the other room.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

There's a WHOLE LOTTA stuff there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fun if you're near it!!!! Every time I see a large chandelier I wonder how much $$ my brother said to "just trash it" to a HUGE dining room chandelier from my parents home that was in a huge moving carton, BUT had become 'disassembled' ......he said no-one would want to bother to put it together......I still cringe.....it WAS GORGEOUS-once upon a time!!

Joe2007 and kyratango like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Baldin vases are very nice.

5. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Real photo postcards do well...depending on the subject....transportation, Western...

Joe2007 likes this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

How do these sales work?. Is everything priced or do you make offers or bids?

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Depends on the estate sale company although most will have price tags on most of the items. The first day is usually full price and then subsequent days may have a discount like 50% off or an option to make an offer on larger more expensive items. I've been to a few that will haggle but most are pretty firm on the first day of the sale.

pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

If I was able to attend through some miracle that would be my first stop. Depending on how serious the collector was there could be some real money in those postcards. It is rare but not unheard of for individual cards, especially RPPC's, so realize over $50-100 each and sometimes even more. I was at an auction a few weeks ago that had quite a few postcards that sold by the piece for over $20-30.

KSW likes this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Wow! wish i was closer!
    Leslie

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted