Featured Another L E Smith question - black glass flower bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Nov 27, 2017.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

On the other LE Smith question recently posted, Don (@dgbjwc ) wrote

"According to my LE Smith book (Felt), the company did not mark items prior to the early 1970's"

I had been assuming this to be a lot older, deco styling and all. Was I wrong?
    (about 4 1/2" tall and the same across)

LE Smith Black Glass Greek Key Silver Overlay Art Deco Planter Frog-a.jpg

LESmithBlackGlassGreekKeySilverOverlayArtDecoPlanterFrog-b.jpg

LESmithBlackGlassGreekKeySilverOverlayArtDecoPlanterFrog-e.jpg

LESmithBlackGlassGreekKeySilverOverlayArtDecoPlanterFrog-f.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'll take another look when I get back home. Out for dinner right now.
    Don

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Well then...
    Dang!

Thanks anyhow.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well, it would have helped if I had listed the entire description for the S mark.
    Per Felt:

"From the late 1930s until the end of the 1960s, the were no pieces marked to the best of my knowledge. It wasn't until around 1971 and 1972, when Smith began issuing limited edition collector plates, that it started marking some pieces with an S and small G appearing in the upper curve and a small C appearing in the lower curve."

In the same section (don't know how I missed it) he also mentions that the mark on your piece:

"The earliest mark that may be found on some pieces is a Maltese cross. Estimated dates for the use of the mark on glassware are between 1926 and 1937. The mark continued to be used as a logo on the company's catalog and letterhead until 1954."

Now to further compound the issue is the following statement about your bowl:

"No. 2 fern bowl in black 4 1/2" high (without lid), 4 3/4" diameter. Circa 1930-1940, 1953-1955...This is the middle size of three fern bowls made with the same Greek Key border. The fern bowl was also available with silver decoration and in the 1950's was offered in the 1950's with the Web decoration..."

I can't explain the discrepancy between the link TallCakes found and the Felt book as regards the dates of the Maltese Cross mark. I apologize for the confusion I've caused.:eggface::facepalm:
    Don

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

No need to apologize. But which source has the ascendancy?

Needless to say, I would prefer this to be in the '30-'37 period. At the moment, I'm happy with "ambiguous". Not likely I'll be selling it anyhow. Eventually it will end up as a donation. Then it will be someone else's problem.

I'll make notes of both references and tag them onto my current description.

Thanks for the additional info.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    pearlsnblume and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted