Featured Another Lot.. Decision making..

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Jan 28, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Happy Sunday all!
    I really need to stop posting things I don't yet own, but this one is a big question!

I've seen this lot and it's getting pricey quickly. Not without reason, I tried jumping on it with an offer but someone bid before the seller could respond. I could see this going for more than I'd like, but is it truly worth competing against the current 101e bid?

I'm mainly looking at the green ensemble on the left, the bow above and the orange brooch below. 1st half 20th? The green may be silver, the orange is signed costume. The ensemble and orange should get 40+ each at resale (if the green doesn't go 'missing' in a box). The cluster of rings on the top right all need some sort of repair, but look to be good quality and silver. The watch is imitation Hermes according to the seller. Other objects of interest are the silver earrings on the left, the bracelet with the stones, and the clip thing next to it. Then there's the two silver and enamel butterflies, the list goes on haha. 48ish pieces in total.
    Screenshot_2024-01-28-15-13-14-435_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg Screenshot_2024-01-28-15-12-23-398_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

At what point would you let it go? I know it's all relative to circumstance, but it'd be helpful to see what your thought process would be if you were looking for resale.
    As always thank you.​

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a knock-off of the Hèrmes Kelly watch for a some time.

Debora

6afef212d63af795dc28ac195e590c91.jpg

KSW, bercrystal, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  3. RachelW

Oh that's rather nice isn't it!

I do hope no one's suspecting it's actually real, or the bids could get exorbitant..

KSW, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Right now it looks like you would be paying a little less than 3E apiece. That would be how I would calculate it. Do you know what metal the harem ring is?

KSW, johnnycb09, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I doubt many people with know a Hèrmes Kelly watch if it bit 'em. A 1980s thing.

Debora

KSW and RachelW like this.
  6. RachelW

Yep it would be. I'm usually paying less than 2e a piece, but if I want higher quality then I can't do that all the time haha. Which one is the harem ring?

KSW, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The green ensemble looks to be 1990s. Pretty sure it is the same vintage as the orange enamel Catherine Popesco pin right under it. From the back on the green pieces, you can see they are a set, the ear wires look modern and the clasp on the green pin is a newer style glued on and if you look closely at the photo of the front, you can see the reflection of a "resin" covering the top, this coating was totally a thing on these 1990s enamel style costume French pieces. That said, some were pretty nicely done, but not huge resale value.

Enlarging the photo of the orange Catherine Popesco pin, I think I see 3 rhinestones missing. Especially if purchasing for resale I would carefully examine photos on this lot.

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

"I really need to stop posting things I don't yet own, but ...!"
    -Nah,You got the fever-have fun and marry rich. (Just kidding all You 'Romantics' out there)....not

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The engraved silver(?) crescent/hoop earrings are Tuareg. Nice ones too.

Will you let us know what you decide?

RachelW, johnnycb09 and evelyb30 like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

too many newish or damaged items.......let it pass..

I have that silver id bracelet....... got it in high school..

RachelW, johnnycb09 and Dessert58 like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I see a vintage enameled copper bracelet and some nice sterling earrings, along with the Tuareg ones Any spotted. Enameled silver butterfly. The bracelet with the amethysts and blue topaz, and the earrings with the pearl dangles are likely sterling too. No telling about the goldtone bracelet with the modern clasp in the lower right.

If someone thinks the dolphin one is gold, this might go high. Not to mention the ring in the upper right.

RachelW likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

With something like this I also try to get a sense of the seller based on their other sales. Is it someone who seems educated regarding jewelry? They knew enough to show everything upside down. If yes, unlikely they would stick a 14K gold bracelet in the lot without mentioning it. If the lot is "AS IS", could be issues. The finish on the back of the copper bracelet is in very rough condition, I see one of the clip earrings, the little green flower shape, is missing the clip part in the back, stones missing on the piece I mentioned above. We didn't see the description from the seller, so hard to know. There is some sterling which is nice, but with jewelry, condition is so important.

Any Jewelry, RachelW and komokwa like this.
  13. evelyb30

The blue enamel flower has damage too; those copper flowers often do. I'd be tempted if the seller doesn't normally do jewelry.

RachelW likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The amethyst (?) earrings at the upper right look promising to me.

Any Jewelry and RachelW like this.
  15. evelyb30

The big ones or the smaller ones? The bigger ones look like Thai sterling or some such. The more I look at that man's signet the more I want a closer look.

RachelW and Bronwen like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

If it was me, at €101 already I’d pass but I’m notoriously tight!
    There are some nice bits, I like the St Chris, AJ’s earrings and the 14/18? Medallion but it looks like there are quite a lot of damaged pieces and costume that you could end up selling in a lot.
    As Lucille says, look at their other listings, have they cherry picked the good bits out to sell individually? and if so are their listings written by someone who really knows or is just guessing!

17. RachelW

oh drat. I'm not familiar with dating earrings, and I know a early 20th artist (can't remember his name...) did resin over his pieces so it didn't stick out to me as newer. That's annoying! Definitely my favorite pieces.

The Catherine Popesco doesn't seem to be missing stones in this photo:
    There do seem to be two that are discolored, but are they not a cut steel type thing and not rhinestones?
    upload_2024-1-29_11-55-44.png

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. RachelW

Its becoming more and more of a necessity at this rate :hilarious:

Interesting, I assumed all the stones would be glass. The bracelet is gold tone, though I do see a small patch of silver on this photo. Plated?
    upload_2024-1-29_12-4-0.png

Bronwen likes this.
  19. RachelW

Unfortunately it seems they do do jewelry. Mostly costume, but they have some gold pieces up as well as wallets, handbags, watches etc. Although they have some natural stone necklaces, why wouldn't you put up something like the bracelet on its own?

Bronwen likes this.
  20. RachelW

No they know what they're doing, just read some of their descriptions. Accurately described, to the point, with measurments of specific elements.

The amethyst (?) earrings Bronwen pointed out are damaged and needs fixing. I thought it would be a simple ring reattchment, but I think it may be a solder job.
    @evelyb30 heres that ring as well! Their two gold items are both marked, perhaps this isn't?
    upload_2024-1-29_12-10-31.png
    I think all the earrings in this corner are damaged. The green are missing a wire, the silver chunks next door are missing one clip, and then the purple ones.

Thank you all for such a wealth of information!! Its been very helpful, for instance why didn't I think to check their descriptions of items! tisk.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted