Featured Another moonstone brooch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Good timing with KSW's find in her lot, now thinking this brooch I got last year is moonstone as well.

I picked this up at a consignment store last January when on a trip. The construction just looked so interesting to me --sort of reminded me a better antique setting, but didn't recognize the stone. I noticed the replacement stone before purchase, a sloppy looking fix. But with a few question marks and thinking it might be something fun to research, and needing a souvenir of the trip, I got this for $12.

So it sat for all this time, but then noticed KSW's post.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/moonstone-crescent-moon-brooch.58427/#post-3593449

While testing some jewelry for metal content, to my astonishment it tested at 14K. Then I did just a bit of polishing and here is some kind of etched mark, maybe inventory or other?

Thought I'd post to confirm ID of antique moonstone.

Also maybe someone could speak to what seems to be two different kinds of moonstones, vintage and antique that you see listed. Anyway, here is the piece:

m3.jpg m2b.jpg

Was not thinking gold at first because it seemed to have some tarnish, but with the lightest swipe of a sunshine cloth, turned completely gold and revealed this etched number. (I need to polish more, but you get the idea).

aam.jpg
    The one thing that's odd, is how haphazardly the stones are set. But I also noticed similar settings on a few 14K moonstone pins currently for sale on Ebay. This is the worst section, but you can see what I mean:

m3r.jpg

m9.jpg

@KSW @Marie Forjan

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Possibly gold over brass, some were. Certainly moonstone. Early 20th .

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What is the green stone? (If it was in your OP and I missed it, I'm sorry,0

4. Lucille.b

The greenstone is a crazy replacement someone made. Was sold like this at consignment store. No idea what the material of that one stone is but it isn't a great replacement. May even have been done by the consignment store.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looks like moonstone to me, and related to KSW's pin :)

Probably had a C clasp originally, that rollover clasp looks like a replacement.

pearlsnblume, KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

I'd certainly be buying a wee moonstone cabochon.

Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That is so pretty!. It’s a similar theme to mine but very different style. I am a new convert to the moonstone appreciation society. I wonder if the cab that stands proud is loose in its settings and has slightly come adrift. Worth getting it checked so it doesn’t pop out altogether.
    That replacement stone is like a bad tooth! It’s got to come out and be replaced with the real thing to restore its glory.
    Have you got a loupe to be able to study the metal up close and personal?. I often find that answers the question as to if something is plated or not.
    This is why I love this forum though, I have lots of things stashed away something tells me they are worth keeping but I don’t know why. Then I see something similar and think - that’s it!

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

It's a horseshoe yes? A good luck charm.

KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

And always wear it right way up or the luck runs out.

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Lucille.b

I know... I took some photos with the other orientation, and then thought, wait a minute, which way does this go?? Facing up! I don't want my luck to run out!

Thanks for all the eyes on this. I agree that the fix is abominable, although the alternative is popping that piece out, and leaving an empty spot. (Might be preferable). In full light and with a close up it really sticks out like a sore thumb, but in actual size and less light, for example when worn, not so noticeable. I didn't even see it when I first picked the piece up, but then noticed it. But in these well lit close up photos it is in fact, all you see.

I would love to get a replacement moonstone, but I doubt I could find the real deal in this shape/size. Did a little snooping around on Ebay, but only these older ones seem to have the dome shape and no one was selling loose ones. But will keep the search up.

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think it is sometimes called a bullet cab.

KSW, Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Thank you, Marie. Helpful!

KSW likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely.

Lucille.b and KSW like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another moonstone beauty.:happy:
    Yay! It is considered to be a stone for women, so where have you been?:joyful:
    Or the other way round for protection by the Goddess. (The Omega as Christian symbol is inspired by ancient Goddess religion as well.)

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What size are the stones?Did you Google rainbow moonstones?

Lucille.b likes this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Under said stone:bag:
    Don’t forget I was a late starter:shy:

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ditto. Then we can keep our eyes open :pompous:

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Lucille.b

KSW likes this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Lucille.b what size stone do you need? I’ve just seen some jewellery with a broken brooch with these domed cabs in but I wasn’t sure what size you need?

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted