Featured Another mystery pair of earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by laura9797, Jan 3, 2020.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

BD3CFDAD-8448-424A-8169-F9F2F6FD784D.jpeg AB0F86D8-6734-4EFD-B959-D204EA05B927.jpeg CA085EFB-93B3-4A01-84F6-31351B28245B.jpeg I am not sure what the stone is in these earrings. Looks like there is a moon stone than a yellow amethyst not quite testing citrine followed by a banded stone or shell. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

KSW, Figtree3, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Love!

KSW likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sounds like you have a stone tester? If you do, how does a test of the banded part come out?

KSW likes this.
  5. laura9797

I believe it didn't really move - was in the quartz part. I originally thought some type of amethyst slice. I left everything on my desk and will re-test Monday.

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You are using the word 'amethyst' in an idiosyncratic way. Amethyst is purple macrocrystalline quartz. Citrine is the same thing in yellow - yellow/brown. These days mostly literally the same thing, as nearly all citrine we see started life as amethyst. The color is changed by a heat process. Whatever 'green amethyst' is, it's not a naturally occurring stone either, not in that color anyway.

The dangles are really interesting. At first glance my mind ran through tiger's eye (too translucent) & rutilated quartz (not bright & needle-y enough) so have to settle for an unusual banded quartz formation, possibly of the microcrystalline/chalcedony type.

laura9797, KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  7. laura9797

Hi Brownwen, unfortunately in the auction world, we have to state how one tests - if an amethyst is not testing as 'citrine' because it is lacking ferric iron impurities then that is what I have to say.

8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Active Member

It looks like an agate to me; albiet a very unusual shape. Very different earrings!

Leslie at the Northern Lights Lodge

Draft saved Draft deleted