Another mystery porcelain figurine

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Daryl Yeates, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Daryl Yeates

Daryl Yeates Playing at being an 'antique dealer'

Further to the great help I received yesterday I'm here to try my luck again...
    It's another little porcelain figurine that I have failed to identify despite my extensive Google searches.
    The figure stands at 105 mm high.
    It's markings are quite clear, a stylized 'Y' and an impression mark of '34'
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Unidentified porcelain1.jpg Unidentified porcelain6.jpg Unidentified porcelain3.jpg Unidentified porcelain8.jpg Unidentified porcelain9.jpg

moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

She's probably Austrian or German, early 20th.

3. Daryl Yeates

Thank you, yes looks that way.
    No value I'm sure but these mystery markings challenge me!

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

I know the feeling. ;)

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  5. Daryl Yeates

Your extensive work here may imply that your knowledge surpasses mine!
    Thanks for all the help.

Ownedbybear and judy like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not personally familiar with the various Ens manufacturers but in Röntgen's book of marks there are several with a similar mark. This link shows one. There were others that used a similar mark too but assuming it's later 19th C then Triebner, Ens & Eckert or Ens & Greiner might be right. Earlier Christian Nonne used a similar mark.
    https://www.theoldstuff.com/en/porcelain-marks/category/255-volkstedt-marks

[​IMG]

Msalicia, Mat, kentworld and 6 others like this.
  7. Daryl Yeates

Many thanks for the info. With that latest detail I'm researching again!

8. Ownedbybear

I buy far too much Stuff simply to find out who made it.

She's nicely done, and given it's a decent maker, is worth more than nothing, if you see what I mean.

Daryl Yeates and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Daryl Yeates

I really struggle to sell antique figurines etc. I'm not seeing much values in them?
    You'll see I'm in the UK, in Newark Notts which has many antique outlets. I've been located in most of them.
    I'm currently a dealer within Hemswell Antique Centre near to Lincoln. It's a huge centre (worth Googleing) it gets very busy but not as many sales as I'd like!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

What is the impressed mark under the blue mark? Is it appears too be a little Diamond or Large S with a slash through it?

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  11. Daryl Yeates

Hi
    Thanks for writing,
    I think that what you refer to is the impressed mark, the number '34' Clipboard09.jpg

12. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

thanks

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I'm UK too - I suspect you'd do better with this one on Ebay, for once.

(If you ever get a Whitefriars kingfisher lamp base, let me know.)

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  14. Daryl Yeates

Not many from UK here...
    As much as I dislike ebay.... I do use it a little. I'm seeing very poor prices for antique porcelain though, some of which you'd feel that it's not worth the hassle of selling.

15. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think SIS may be right, but it also reminds me of the Unterweissbach mark as well. Couldn’t find an example, though.

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  16. Daryl Yeates

I've looked into it a lot today and there's so many variations of the mark... it's hard to be certain of any. I'll keep looking armed with all of the help I've received from here, thanks all.
    Daryl

17. say_it_slowly

Don't know if it helps but here are the Röntgen's marks.
    IMG_20200209_185138.jpg IMG_20200209_185232.jpg

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  18. Daryl Yeates

That's excellent, many thanks. I'm just off to work now but look forward to confirming tonight when I get home.

19. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Look at the symbols again. None truly like that on the figurine. When I look at the painting on the little girls I see Japan every where: the orange shoes with lack of detail, the maroon paint over extending the edge of the back of the dress top and then the maroon paint down into the gathers on the precious yellow dress, the roughness of the blue sash, the upheld arm rather ill formed and the edge of the little finger almost translucent, the possibility of the hair originally being gray and then repainted with the reddish brown paint if you look closely at the top of the face. I'm probably all wet on this, but then I am just going by the beauty of my ENS figures (none with this mark) and the exactness of my German figurines when compared to my
    "Made in Japan" figurines. I'd rather research that mark some more before thinking it is German.
    I'm just a little lady with some antiques and lots of figurines handed down who enjoys Antiquers daily in my email.

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

Daryl Yeates likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted