Featured Another paperweight ID thread...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by busryde, Jul 9, 2019.

1. busryde

busryde Active Member

I collect paperweights, but I'm no expert, and this one has always thrown me. It is a multifaceted paperweight, 4-leaf clover cut on top, octaganol oval facets with two smaller oval facets stacked between them around the circumference. Simple flower motif surrounded with millefiori canes. A countered woven interlace for the background. What's bothered me is the glass is not real clear. In fact it looks dirty in some spots. The base seems to be well ground/polished. I don't know that it's old, and I won't be offended if you tell me if it's a chinese knockoff. I have more sentimental value attached than monetary. So please give me your honest opinion.
    20190709_214101.jpg 20190709_214101.jpg 20190709_214129.jpg 20190709_214136.jpg 20190709_214214.jpg

Mugzinnys, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know the first thing about it, but do know I have never seen one quite like it. My field is cameos. Sometimes part of the reason I decide a piece is hand cut & not molded is because it is not perfect. We'll see what members who speak paperweightese will say. I think the imperfections argue against modern knockoff.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is older as well. Late 1800s.

@janettekay

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Have a google on Chinese or China Whites.

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Mugzinnys, Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

At first glance...my initial thought is vintage Bohemian . As mentioned, I do not collect antique weights, so not as well versed as others may be ;)

7. busryde

busryde Active Member

after googling "china white paperweights", I found some similar pws attributed to China. It could be old, perhaps even 1920-30s, but still chinese, more likely 1960s-70s. The dirt in the glass suggests it is chinese as well. Another thing that bothers me is the leaves just don't look very detailed and the millefiori canes in the center appear to be laying on top of the leaves instead of being part of the plant. Oh well, I bought it at a flea market in Joplin, MO some years ago. The seller was asking $5, I offered $3, I think we settled at $4. Still a nice addition to my collection.

Thanks Ownedbybear for the google recommendation. I think that solved it!

patd8643, Mugzinnys and Bronwen like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most welcome. I think yours is an earlier one. They're getting rather collectable now.

Draft saved Draft deleted