Featured Another Piece of Old Jewelry ~ When? Where? Who?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Nov 28, 2018.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for taking a look at this necklace with small cameo. It is about 17" clasp to clasp, has 2 stars on each link and we could find no marks. Thought it was interesting.
    Patd

Frt 1.jpg Bck 1.jpg Latch 3.jpg Latch Frt 2.jpg Cam Clos 2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

50s slide/lanyard? Is it a locket? Cute @patd8643

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A search for 'bookchain cameo' will show you other similar pieces. At first glance I thought cameo was probably Czech glass, but it looks a bit rough, so may in fact be carved hardstone.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Bronwen gave a much better search term :)

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks late 1800s Victorian.
    I would have it checked. Might be 9K, 10K or rolled gold if it is indeed from the 1800s.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can we see a close up of the cameo please.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I smell rolled gold; check the edges on the back of the clasp. If the edges are dull, it's gold-filled, rolled gold, or similar. The spots where the necklace would get the most wear ought to be the shiniest if it's gold.

8. patd8643

Thanks Scout. Never thought to look for locket - will look tomorrow.

Good search term. Found some similar.
    Will need to get a picture tomorrow.

I think you are correct. See some lightly worn places, but very sturdy.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Patd

kyratango, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think 1960s or possibly 50s. I've some very similar pieces with plaques like that - one has a nice fake opal.

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Necklaces like this give the appearance of having a slide, without the nuisance. Sort of like those brooches that look like a penannular but really have conventional brooch findings on the back. Bookchain necklaces of all types seem routinely to be described as Victorian or antique. I don't know if this is correct or just what goes around, but my sense is these were in vogue turn of/early in 20th century.

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

That clasp looks later - and there was a significant Victorian Revival in costume stuff in the 60s. Laura Ashley and all that.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

I remember, but not anything like this. Would you place all the other 'Victorian' bookchain necklaces on the market today to that period? Or what would you look for to distinguish old ones from new? What about the clasp seems more recent to you? (Also the possibility the tongue, the part most likely to break, has been replaced.)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I'll fish out mine, if I can find them. Push in looks contemporaneous and they're a pig to replace, too. There was a big thing for those here.

As to others, it depends. The good gold true Victorian ones I've handled had flip over or small ring clasps, or even hooks. That clasp looks too clunky, and the oblong hole in the "female" side looks later. I do think it's rolled gold.

The length seems later, too.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Just checking. You mean the small opening in the back that looks like it was needed somehow to complete the assembly? Because I would like to see the opening in the female side that accommodates the male bit.

I have a bracelet I think was once gilt brass, finish mostly worn off now, that uses this type of clasp. (I think of them as box & tongue; is there a standard name for them?) Would be interested in comparing, although the shape of mine seems to have been dictated by the chains it holds on the other side, so it may be atypical. Bracelet is definitely not from mid-20th.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Yup, the wee hole thingy.

Box and tongue is exactly the right term, albeit shapes and designs vary massively, as I'm sure you've seen. I'd love to see your bracelet.

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

When I can get it photographed, will add it to the cameo thread & tag you. It has a cameo of Nero in glass paste, I think.

17. Ownedbybear

Cheers!

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Bronwen

Off to do it now. :happy:

19. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

20. patd8643

Both ends 1.jpg Male end 1.jpg Female end.jpg Cam Clse 1.jpg
    You all asked for a few more pictures - here they are. It looks like something was written at one time on the male end - can't read now.
    Patd

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted