Another (Probably German) Military Badge that Baffles Me

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Barn Owl, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I like collecting random imperial badges and bits. Sometimes, I can identify them with Google, but in this case, I'm baffled. The back of this badge appears to be gilded, and there are some remnants of gilding remaining on the top of the brooch, but not enough for me to tell with any certainty if it was once gilded. The top of the t-shaped portion rests on the barbell, putting it at an angle. These pieces appear to be original to the badge, and there is no sign of visible solder. Approximately 4 cm in diameter.

Edit: Interestingly, upon taking a closer look at the badge, it seems as though there are two different kinds of leaves used: On the right, we have the oak leaves and on the left is the laurel leaves, similar to http://derrittmeistermilitaria.com/fltbdges.htm

thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    anundverkaufen likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The only FF I can think of is Franz Ferdinand (not the band ;)) the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, whose murder kick-started WW I. I don't see why there would be a Franz Ferdinand badge though.:confused:

It looks like a miniature door knocker.:playful:

i need help, Bronwen and Barn Owl like this.
  3. Barn Owl

That's a cool thought! I thought that it looked like inverted F's, too. I'll see if I can find anything like that on Google.

I won't lie--I totally expected the barbell to work like a hinge, so I could lift it up and down like, well, a miniature door knocker, haha.

Aquitaine, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

It’s a gymnasts badge, the four F’s are for Frischer Mut, Frommes Blut, Frohes Leben and Freies Streben.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Jivvy, Bakersgma, Lucille.b and 5 others like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Thank you! I never would have guessed that
    . Any thoughts on how old it might be?

6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Not sure, looks pretty early but you can read about Friedrich Ludwig Jahn, the guy who popularized the four F’s motto.
    There are quite a few medals out there that date much later than his lifetime with the four F’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Ludwig_Jahn

Draft saved Draft deleted