Another rhinestone pin for ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by moreotherstuff, Jun 7, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Can you tell I like the sparklies? About 1 1/2" across and the same top to bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not a clue. It dates to the 1960s, but beyond that... dunno.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for looking. Not every question will have an answer.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that prong set stones are a plus -- a jeweler told me that. :)

5. evelyb30

Yep - prong set stones tend to stay in their settings. Thousands of pins were made like this from the 50s into the early 70s. The style and colors are what tell you how old it is and sometimes where it was made. Those metal flowers are sometimes Austrian, but the Americans made them too.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Prongs are one thing I look for. I also like combined variety in color, shapes, sizes of rhinestones. And layering... I look for layering. Names are nice, but some good stuff is unmarked and some names are like big red flags. Fact is... I know squat about jools. I fancy that design attracts me, but it's all fundamentally guesswork and hunches.

7. evelyb30

The thing to watch for is GAUDY. The gaudier it is, the better your odds of selling it. I went to a retirement home rummage sale about 10 days ago. Somebody bought the gaudy rhinestone pins but left the 14k one for me to find. It looked like a common piece by Krementz. Uhmm, not quite.(LOL)

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Vintage and gaudy sounds like a good combination. I do wonder how much of this stuff is actually purchased by women.

9. evelyb30

Most of it, but I'm training some guys too. Never hurts.

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'm a guy and I'll buy it when I see it. 'course I'm talkin' in the field, for resale. I've learned enough to pick out at least some of the good stuff. I've actually set myself a goal of scoring a "pools of Light" necklace some day. I think they're really cool.

11. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Skeezix, POL are very cool ! I had one last year and had a very hard time parting with it.

12. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Here's a picture. Mine didn't have the ornate bands around the orbs, just thin sterling bands but it was special.

pol5.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
  13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Had I not seen them on the boards I wouldn't know 'em if they bit me on the nose.

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    POL are on my watch list. I knew nothing about cameos until i started lurking on the Jewel board, learned enough about cameos to pay 5 bucks for one that people kept picking up and laying down. I heard plastic several times and fake gold mark. I learned that carved shells have a curve to them on the back. Turns out it was real gold frame ,shell carved and had a real diamond set into the necklace. Sold it for 160 not bad for 5.
    greg

15. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Nice score Greg ! The added diamond is known as an 'habille' cameo and is a good KW. :)

16. evelyb30

Sweet deal on that cameo. I've been drooling over pools of light necklaces for a while now too. I finally did get my greedy mitts on a piece of sapphiret. It was on Ebay in an "assorted pendant" lot. Paid under $7 for the whole thing. It's just a pendant, and it needs ketchup at that to get the green gunk off, but I still did OK. [​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  17. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Calico, I love your necklace, The simplicity of the wire wrapping looks like from the Orient.

18. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Shiloh, a lot of these were Chinese in origin. ;)

19. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Calico, that necklace is beautiful!

20. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Tie.dye.cat. The POL pieces are pretty special, I love how the quartz orbs seem to glow and the cold and heavy feel of them against the skin makes sure you never forget you're wearing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted