Featured Another ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by NanaB, May 4, 2022.

1. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

3D13E964-248B-4855-B0AA-7BCA776A4E01.jpeg 3D13E964-248B-4855-B0AA-7BCA776A4E01.jpeg 76F08C08-60DA-42BE-9762-606D657774DA.jpeg This ring I recently received. I have no idea about the age, the center stone is purple but for some reason looks brown in pictures. I cant find any marking either.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Born2it, stracci, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I can’t help with your ring, but your photos are Great! Well done!

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Thank you as I sat here and struggled why my file was still too large! I LOVE your puppy!

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You can always email photos to yourself as Medium. That will resize them.
    Puppy is Clipper. :clown:

5. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I tried that, it wasn’t giving me the option for size selection. I kept retrying & I discovered to creat an album, that way I can just go into that one “thing”. Boy, being an empty nester has its disadvantages too! Clipper is precious.

kyratango likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nana, I see some vertical lines in the back of the ring, do you think it could have been resized? If so, a possible mark could have been lost in the process, that happens sometimes.

kyratango, Xristina and i need help like this.
  7. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Yes, it had been resized. This was gifted to me recently, by an elderly Aunt, and we both have a size 3.5 to 3.75 (US sizing) ring fingers. She can’t remember where it came from, she just knew it came from her husband! So I guess it will be time to order a testing kit and a gem tester thing. Any updated recommendations? Thank you.

bercrystal, Joan and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There is a thread on testing kits etc, maybe someone can find it for you. I am terrible at finding things at the moment.

komokwa likes this.
  9. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I actually read the entire jewelry forum recently. Yes from the very beginning! I saw that & noted it down so I wouldn’t lose it umm yeah we know how that works… I do remember it was a few years ago. I will look on Amazon.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Your photos are great and I like your ring, but can't help with the age or stone.

Regarding testing kits I bought an Acid Test Kit for about $20 on Amazon two years ago (sold by PuriTEST). As others have mentioned, the acid for silver becomes useless after maybe a year or so, but the acids for gold still seem to be working (and you can use the 18k acid to test silver--silver marks on the black stone that's included in the kit will turn kind of a milky blue under the drop of acid).

I also bought a diamond tester on Amazon just recently for $18.99 (Amazon's #1 Best Seller) the HMKIS Diamond Tester Pen. I mainly need it to identify glass stones, but it also supposedly will tell you if a stone is jade or some type of crystal--and of course diamonds. I've only tried it on a pair of earrings so far and it confirmed that the stones are glass. For more specific identification of various gemstones you have to spend a lot more.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  11. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I noticed gem testers from 20 to way out of my budget! Thanks you for the recommendations. As I said in another post I am going to order them both. I can use my real diamonds to see if they others stones I have (some loose) are genuine or not & other gem stones. Funny how some pictures look so different than the actual piece. I like taking & editing pictures & I think I figured out how to more easily for this non tech person to upload them, I think. Thanks again for the recommendations

Joan likes this.
  12. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

You're welcome.. I often have problems getting the colors right. There are so many factors that affect colors such as lighting, background, the angle of the camera, the clothing I'm wearing, etc etc etc. The fact that you like taking and editing photos is half the battle...and it looks like you're a fast learner.

13. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Thank you, the written tutorial really helped me. And I have read many of the forums as well on how to post. I had to take so many so the size would post correctly, and that is how I spent a good part of my day. Taking pictures, we can thank my High School photography teacher, Mr.Borgia. He had the patience of a Saint.

14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

On color as photographed alone, stone could be iolite.

Born2it and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted