Featured Another strange one I've never seen before unusual necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by jakes vintage, Nov 17, 2017.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Not too sure on this one appears to have some age to it the beads seem to be glass but there' no uniformity to them other than they just graduate in size. Any thoughts on this one?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

My initial reaction is this piece was made in Czechoslovakia. The filigree on the back is very much like what I see on my Czech perfume bottles.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think you could be right. Some American designers used that back too, but Czech is as good a guess as any.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Some American designers used that back too

Like Haskell? Reminds me a bit of early Miriam Haskell. Not a definite, though.

Unusual piece. I like it.

5. jakes vintage

I thought Haskell too because of the way the pendant is made same style, but the fringed beads on the pendant look like the Czech ones I was checking out once bercrystal had made that suggestion...

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I wonder if the beads were originally covered in a pearl coating. Somewhere I have a lovely glass bead necklace - the beads are iridescent glass. The clasp says Czechoslovakia. A lot of the coating had chipped off and when I saw how beautiful the beads were, I removed the rest of it. Everyone remarks on how unusual it is.

7. jakes vintage

I'm not sure I figured they were always that Apple juice color. Do you guys suggest using an ultra sonic jewelry cleaner on something like this, if it' safe enough I bet it would answer that question..

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Rhinestones + liquid = dead rhinestones. I wouldn't. I was wondering too if those applejuice beads hadn't been coated originally, but there's no sign of it.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. jakes vintage

How would someone go about cleaning something like this?

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Can't tell from the photos whether the whole thing is hand knotted, or if the parts that separate the beads are rusted. If hand knotted, you don't want to get an old string wet, never mind the rhinestones. So don't dunk it in water or anything. If the beads are dirty, for example from cigarette smoke, you might be able to just wipe them one at a time (carefully as not to stretch the string) but it require a labor of love, and might not be worth the time it would take. If those spacers are rusted, not much you can do, other than sell for repair/parts which probably wouldn't amount to much.

This is kind of an odd piece, but I can see why you picked it up. Definitely unusual.

On last thing, I usually associate "apple juice" with bakelite, not glass.

It's a fun piece, I hope someone gets to enjoy it.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I did a quick Google search of Czech glass beads and though I didn't see any exactly like yours, this gives you an idea of the wide variety of glass beads coming out of the Czech Republic

Czech glass beads

12. jakes vintage

Lots of beauiful beads

Draft saved Draft deleted