Featured Another trunk thread.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have four family trunks - two flat and two domed. I was always told that the flat ones were cheaper because they got packed on the bottom and the domed trunks were for wealthier people and got stacked on top. Anyway, my son picked this one up at a barn sale on Saturday. As if four weren't enough! Not sure what he plans to do with it, but I agree it's pretty neat.

2015-08-10 06.52.07 (800x600).jpg 2015-08-11 17.55.59 (800x800).jpg 2015-08-10 06.52.13 (800x600).jpg 2015-08-11 17.57.00 (800x800).jpg 2015-08-11 17.56.08 (800x800).jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hopefully cleaning it up a bit and using it to store something. I wouldn't do much else.

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bev, that's interesting what you said about flat and domed trunks. Sounds like if you wanted to make sure nothing was put on top of your trunk, you'd use a domed one.

Hmm... would that work with USPS/UPS/Fedex packages? I could picture sellers all rushing to fabricate boxes with a domed top! :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

The idea was that it would be difficult to stack other trunks on top of a domed trunk, so it was loaded last and was first off - even then not getting relegated to the bottom of the pile.

I've often wondered how valid the theory is - mother never had a problem, even though her trunks were all flat-topped (did Vuitton even MAKE domed trunks?). She did have it down to a science though............arrive dock side 10 minutes before sailing and calling the purser to take her trunks 10 minutes before docking..............and yes, she acted all fluttery and feminine..... and snorted "Ass!" every time they fell over themselves acting gallant and macho......

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

your mother had spunk..!

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I haven't looked inside, yet. It is handy being locksmiths - it was locked and he picked it open. Now he's going through the old keys to find one he can file down to fit.

8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ma was a woman of many facets - and as I have never gotten around to writing about my parents and my late wife in the detail I had hoped to, I think this weekend I will give them each a short tribute on my forum..............time, or lack thereof, seems to be an issue at this stage.............

Draft saved Draft deleted