Another "What is this" thread

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Dave D, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

P1050226.JPG P1050232.JPG P1050229.JPG P1050237.JPG P1050236.JPG P1050235.JPG P1050236.JPG P1050232.JPG P1050229.JPG P1050237.JPG I've looked at tons of souvenirs from the 1901 Pan American Exposition online but can't find anything like this. Is it possibly a match holder? Toothpick holder? Lighter? It's 2 1/2" tall and 1 1/2" wide.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2021
    Aquitaine likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

With that ridged section inside it could be match holder (also called a Vesta) but I'm having a tough time envisioning lighting the match where others are stored.

i need help and DragonflyWink like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Match-safe/Vesta, striker on the bottom - looks like it's aluminum...

~Cheryl

i need help likes this.
  5. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Thanks everyone! Match holder it is! Cheryl, I think you're right about it being aluminum.

6. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Forgot to ask. Should I try to remove the remnants of something like scotch tape on it or is it better left alone.
    Thanks for replies!

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

My vote would be, safely remove the residue. Whatever you choose to use, test in a small and inconspicuous area prior to acing the whole thing.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You could try Goof-Off.

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

If it's tape residue use 100% acetone. Either with Qtip or soaking in it. It is perfectly fine on metals as it is used religiously on coins. Acetone is flammable so use outside. Then just rinse and pat dry with a soft cloth. You'll find it may even remove the dirt/grime on it too without affecting the patina

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What hasn't been mentioned - that's a 120 year-old souvenir from the 1901 World's Fair! That's the one where President McKinley was assassinated. Buffalo, NY.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Exposition

Probably not worth a fortune, but a World's Fair collector or someone into US history would be after it. Or someone from Buffalo, NY where the fair was held.