Ansonia 1880 Crystal Palace #1 Mantel Clock - 2 keys?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Slykitty65, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

I bought this clock from a retired jeweler who got it from his father who opened the families jewelry store in the early 1930's. The father had just opened and often did barter with his customers. This clock and a few chickens were traded for the item. Sadly, the father broke the original glass dome for the clock and it sat in basement storage for 80 years when his son found it when closing out the jewelry store. I got it at bargain-basement price!

Search found it was made by Ansonia Clock Company of Connecticut, the key matched but there was also a 2nd key marked Waterbury (Timex) Clock Company who made brass movements starting in the early 1800s. Why would this clock have 2 keys? Some of the listings say it is an 8-day clock, others say 2 keys could be each for a different function like the small swinging pendulum in front of the mirror.

I don't know anything about clocks. The replacement Crystal Dome is over $300 and I have no idea what it would cost to get it cleaned and in working order... or if it is worth it for me to do so. The 2 brass statues of the Fisherman and Hunter look like they may have a gold wash over the brass and don't want to clean in case it would damage it.

I gave it a gentle dusting with Q-tip and a fine sable paintbrush to get off the heavy dust, dry-cleaned the tin mirror, and walnut base. The gears did move on their own after I dusted it, but I stopped it from moving because I could not get all the dust and grime and didn't want to damage the gears. The original clock dial must have been replaced at some point in its life because it is not marked with the Ansonia logo as I have seen on some of my searches.

It is a beautiful clock! How do you know when it's too much to invest, especially if it's not something I collect. Should I just list it for sale "As-Is"? I would hate to damage its delicate working mechanisms and I sure don't want to try the 2 keys in case I use the wrong one. Photo #1, before I dusted the mechanism only catching the dust on the QTip and rolling it away from the brass. Photo #2 after dry-dusting the clock itself.

IMG-6764a.JPG IMG-6766a.JPG
    IMG-6764a.JPG IMG-6766a.JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not the clock guy, but this is very attractive and worth restoring right. Have you checked Eboo for antique domes? Perhaps a long shot, but even at $300 for a dome and $200 for repairs I'd be happy.

3. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you Ghopper1924. I'm not familiar with Eboo but will surely check them out. I was surprised at the cost of replacement domes after I compared other Crystal Palace clocks on auctions listed in $500 price range. I can't see if the clock I have has the Waterbury movement for the extra key I have.

Maybe start with the clock restoration to find if it's an early version of the #1 when Ansonia worked with other Connecticut clock companies as far back as 1831 when the brass movements became available. Ansonia Clock Co. was established 1851-1904 before moving to New York in 1905 after their fire destroyed the factory. Palmer's guide shows the Crystal Palace Clock made in 1880, but the clocks have been found with other clock company movements. They don't list Waterbury, but some searches have. I assume if it is a Waterbury which eventually became the Timex Company the history may be important to a collector?

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think he means eBay

Two keys , one is for the time spring and one is for the hourly chime.

There are many replacement domes out there.

Slykitty65 likes this.
  5. Ghopper1924

That is what I meant. "Eboo = board slang for Ebay."

Slykitty65 likes this.
  6. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you, guys! I took a couple of years off Ebay... now so many changes, including that nickname! :cat:

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

No need to be delicate with it. The odd key is almost certainly just there and has nothing to do with anything. Any key that fits will do for winding it. It would be the same key size both sides. It is essentially a cheaply made, flashy clock.
    I'd not bother with a glass dome, at the prices they are. They were almost essential in earlier and dirtier days when the problem in the air was soot, dust and housemaids.
    Air is superficailly cleaner now, you do not get the sulfur gasses from the coal fires, or even the abundance of indoor insects.
    You will be fine without the dome.
    Just wind it up, fit the pendulum and away it might go.

Slykitty65 and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

I dunno, those domes look pretty cool......:)

Slykitty65 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted