Featured Antique 1890's Oak Roll Top Desk

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Aug 14, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

I have the task of trying to sell an old roll top desk that has been in the family since original purchase. It's big and was told it comes apart in 5 places. What is the best option for selling? Maybe FB Marketplace or Craigslist? It was made by Indianapolis Cabinet Co. Their name changed in the 1890's after some of the white collars got in trouble for something or other. Excuse all of Mom's art supplies. desk1.JPG desk2.JPG desk3.JPG desk4.JPG desk5.JPG

J Dagger, patd8643, Firemandk and 2 others like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The two venues you mention are probably your best bet.

I see major problems unloading it: size, brown furniture prices are deplorable and the mismatched drawer fronts (color) is very distracting IMHO.

Good luck. Those old roll-top desks are real workhorses.

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

When posting pics to try and sell it be sure and show it 'closed' too.

4. kraftblue

The drawers are original. An attempt at refinishing was done.

5. kraftblue

Wisc, I need to get back and measure it so I will take a few more pictures.

6. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I see no reason why it would not sell. The main issue is the SIZE (and therefore, weight) of the desk. It's good that it can be pulled apart for transport, but still...it will affect who, and how much, someone will pay for it.

7. kraftblue

Thanks Shangas.

8. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Dont forget to look for the secret drawer and who knows what it might contain. (most of the old roll tops I've seen have one)

judy and Fid like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think marketplace and craigslist are your best options. Would ask a fair amount for it and be willing to come down. Not as popular as they once were but this is a better than standard model. Too bad the refinishing was not completed.

judy likes this.
  10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Writers and pen-collectors love antique desks like these, because of all the cubbyholes and drawers to organise their collections in. So there's definitely a market for them. I know loads of pen collectors who have desks very similar to these.

That said, they don't wanna pay much for them.

judy likes this.
  11. kraftblue

Coreya, This does come aprt and was transported from OH to CT, don't think there is a secret drawer.

Thanks Verybrad and Shangas.

judy likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had a old roll top and did not think it contained a "secret" drawer. Eleven years later I found that the front leg came off and there were two books stashed in the leg.
    They were ledgers dated 1910 and 1911. You never know.
    The last desk I bought I had X-Rayed at the hospital were I was working. Found two more "secret compartments" that I did not find even after going all over it with a magnifying glass. It had 6 secret places.
    greg

judy likes this.
  13. kraftblue

Thanks Greg, I will definately look!

judy likes this.
  14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Wow what was in those 6??? Secret compartments and rooms fascinate me more than just about anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted