Featured Antique Adjustable Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Microtech, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Microtech

Microtech New Member

[​IMG] The chair belonged to my wife's grandmother. It has no identifying marks or words that we can find. Based on Google searches alone, it doesn't look like the design of a Morris Chair.

I know nothing about antiques, and I can't seem to find anything that looks similar online. Wondering if it was not a handmade piece.

We live in Kansas. Any info would be appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/pSRtLlP

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    KSW, James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Microtech. Please attach the picture of the chair directly here. We prefer not to have to click a link to another site.

KSW likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yo Kansas!

Your remarks are on target. It's a late Victorian adjustable lounge chair. Would date it to the last decades of the 19th century. The wood looks like mahogany. Very unusual! It's not handmade, but a very nice piece anyway.

Morris chairs used a similar mechanism to raise and lower the backs, so I can see why that would come to mind. They were later, though.

4. Microtech

Microtech New Member

Sorry. I added one and left the link. Thanks!

KSW likes this.
  5. Microtech

Microtech New Member

Thank you for the response! That is very helpful. My wife just wants it out of the house, but I figured it was worth seeing if it's worth some money before donating it.

Really wish I could find a similar piece online for reference.

pearlsnblume, KSW and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Oh dear, one lounge chair about to go nite nite!:eek::hilarious:

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Wife may come to regret that decision down the road considering it was her grandmothers, surely there is somewhere in the house it could be stored.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Microtech:

This is a rare piece. Please check with a good antique shop to see if they might want to buy it. Chairs in general are unfortunately not worth much, so don't expect to be able to retire on the proceeds.

This is an unusual chair; it should not just be cast aside.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How sweet that is! And it's almost 150 years old. Are you sure there's not someone -- not even an extended family member -- who wouldn't be happy to give it houseroom? A comfortable chair. Condition appears good and it could easily be "refreshed" with a change of upholstery.

Debora

10. Microtech

Microtech New Member

Thanks, all. I appreciate your responses and advice. I will try and see if there is a antique store or individual who may be willing to purchase it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what our market has to offer around here.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

There is also a forum for selling on this site. Maybe another member could take it off your hands for you.

Microtech likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted