Featured Antique Armoire

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by travis gaspard, Jul 2, 2019.

1. I was give this piece by a family friend. She and her parents moved here from Germany and had this piece and several others shipped when they moved. Just looking for some information anyone may have on this piece.

Attached Files:

Michael77, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

looks like a nice piece:) can you post more photos and the measurement of it?
    Also when you add photos, click 'full image', it is easier to see items

Michael77, Mugzinnys, judy and 5 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Travis. It is a very nice armoire, and it looks German.
    I am no furniture person, but going by the style components I'd say this is mid-19th century Renaissance Revival.
    Historic periods were even more popular in Central Europe than in other parts of Europe. The revival art and craft forms went by the general German name of 'Historismus'.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

the hinges are fiche a larder and there are some design stumbles solved on the fly i do not think a german fassadenschrank maker would make. they just plan everything to death and can't help themselves. looks like some northern italians drinking and enjoying themselves alot to me.

ps what a good friend.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that's a tough one. as long as we don't see the interior and get the measures... would the Italians really construct the lower corners as toe-breakers ?
    the turning columns made me think of Spanish cloister columns. can't remember which order it was, Dominicans possibly.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. alex webb

i would have called it baroque so its italian too. the strapwork is splashed with baroque motifs and i would call the columns baroque but i think thats eqyptian lotus buds?? on the column bases and pilaster? [which they carry on in the frieze? but which would make more sense flipped upside down as simulated corbels up there considering]. but my eyes are not great. maybe they are feathers or something else....

anyway the panels are very nice but the masks on the panels don't match. very strange. the pilaster is a flying pilaster and that does not compute architecturally. it should also be appreciated in the crosshead unless there is a pediment really. this is more like the package.

[​IMG]

i think luigi and his brother mario and his other brother mario salvaged many panels and columns and pilasters and mouldings and made themselves what we used to call some figurati! but its still worth goodly dollars.

Fid likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the L/H mask made me think of a Green Man. which could point towards medieval church use.
    yes, marriages were often found in Europe after 1945 - except Germany - to make up for the losses and save the remnants.
    PS: don't forget brother Alfredo for the noodles.

9. alex webb

alfredo kept the grappa flowing. the water was shiite. oh well figurati!

10. Also received a bed from the friend. Was told the bed is not as old as the armorie. Any information on the bed would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

11. This is the best I can get for the inside for now.

Attached Files:

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the outside hinges on the armoire are not original IMO. it seems the original inside pins got either lost or broke out. from the measures it could be a Southern German Leintuchschrank (bed linen cupboard) because the depth corresponds to a folded bed linen, two per board. I'd put it to the Biedermeier period.
    the bed looks later and is probably from the Historismus era, but bought to fit together.

Draft saved Draft deleted