Antique Art Nouveau pewter dish JC (Jules Courvoisier) or CJ (Christiaan Johannes Van Der Hoef)?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Daveac, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

Hi everyone,

I previously posted a query for 2 of 3 Antique Art Nouveau pewter dishes I have purchased, but posted the wrong photo. I am still after artist information on this dish, signed with the initials JC or CJ. Could this be JC = Swiss artist Jules Courvoisier, or CJ = Dutch artist Christiaan "Chris" Johannes Van Der Hoef, or somebody else?

Thank you to everyone for your help with the other dish.

Art N disho copy.JPG Art N disho1 copy.JPG Art N disho2 copy.JPG

Thank you for your time.

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know who made your dish but in looking around a bit I found this one. It isn't exactly the same as there are a few differences but because there are no initials on the front it makes me wonder if the JC/CJ on yours was actually the owner's initials rather than the maker.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/art-nouveau-pewter-425808501
    upload_2019-10-10_8-28-24.png

scoutshouse and Daveac like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The Worthpoint one looks like a poor knockoff of Daveac's, although, in the absence of size info, they both look like soap dishes to me.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

LOL! For "Sweetheart" soap!!

Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Items like this were typically offered as pin trays and/or ash receivers...

~Cheryl

6. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I had wondered if the initials were the owner's rather than the maker's too, however, I had located an identical tray online with the same initials, and they hadn't offered any additional information either:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Nouveau-Maiden-Mermaid-Pewter-Card-Tray-Pin-Coin-Dish-Signed-/293143233762?nma=true&si=5OMQKy%252BqjHh93SONunYE18zoPxw%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Draft saved Draft deleted