Antique art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Gary Symonds, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Gary Symonds

Gary Symonds New Member

Hi all, I hope you don’t mind me posting on here but my mother is a fan of small framed antique artworks.

I was scrolling through eBay in hope to find a bargain and I have come across this piece of art- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/framed-l...6?pageci=37505dac-4e82-4095-aff6-02e62e409c7b

I notice on the back there is a sticker confirming the artwork is over 100 years old. The seller also has a few listed and I wasn’t sure what the going rate would be. Would anyone be able to help me decide if the artwork is worthy of a bid and what is the going rate for a piece of artwork like this?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It states it’s an engraving. That is not the same as a painting.
    I’m only explaining that because the sellers title reads painting.

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Welcome Gary.
    It’s not a painting, it’s a hand coloured engraving so likely still quite a few around. Also there is brown acid staining from the edge of the mounting board which will only get worse if it’s not re mounted. I see similar in the charity shops and car boots for often less than a fiver so £20 is a bit steep imo because of the staining.

4. Gary Symonds

Gary Symonds New Member

Thanks for the responses

Houseful and i need help like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a nice engraving and looks nicely colored. It's true about the acid burn from the mat. You might ask the seller to clarify the dimensions: is that the size of the frame, or the image? It may be quite small. Probably from a book. Most likely a copy of a painting. If the seller will give you the names under the image at the corners, you can look up the original artist and the engraver.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like this one.

"Lindisfarne Abbey, North Durham" engraved by J.W.Lowry after a picture by Thomas Allom, published in 1833. Steel engraved antique print with recent hand colouring. Size 10 x 16 cms including title, plus margins."

Debora

g9241.jpg

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Fid likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

and a nice guarantee sticker...

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The title now says engraving, and the description still says painting. The photos are taken with the image behind glass, and are posted sideways. There are two misspellings in the title. None of that inspires confidence.

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Good Catch, that’s very curious...

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted