Featured Antique Austrian Hand-Painted Porcelain Set - Questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 12, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This Hand Painted Austrian/Bavarian Porcelain Set from 1919 needs to find a more appropriate home. When I purchased it I thought it would fit in, but its subtle colors and delicate nature has resulted in it being lost toward the back of my china cabinet. Therefore, I need your help in better describing it, so I can find someone who will properly appreciate it.

Here is what I know.
    1. The set has a pot with a matching porcelain rest, a covered container (like a sugar bowl), a something that looks like it holds a liquid (like a creamer) and 6 cups and matching saucers.
    2. The blanks appear came from three different sources - The source for the pot and rest come from one source, which has an unreadable red mark; the "sugar bowl" and the "creamer" is from A crown P in Austria, and the cups and saucers come from Bavaria.
    3. The pieces were painted by A Weyrauch.
    4. The design is Highview
    5. The pieces were painted in 1919
    6. The pieces are thin and translucent
    7. The pieces are gilded
    My questions:
    1. It was labelled a Chocolate Set. Is this right? I can't understand the "creamer" and "sugar bowl" is this is correct. If it is a chocolate set, then what is the function of these pieces?
    2. Does anyone recognize the A crown P over Austria Marks?
    3. Does anyone recognize the blurred red mark?
    The pieces don't have any chips or cracks, which surprises me as they are 100 years old. Any help will be appreciated.

IMG_6005.jpg IMG_6006.jpg IMG_6007.jpg IMG_6010.jpg IMG_6016.jpg IMG_6017.jpg IMG_6019.jpg IMG_6018.jpg IMG_6024.jpg IMG_6011.jpg

2. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Coffee set, I believe. Chocolate pots usually have a small spout near the top of the pot. Coffee pots have the elongated spout like yours, and the sugar and creamer would go with it. The pattern is a pine cone pattern. One of the experts will come along, but I think your set was painted by A Weyrausch, probably a hobbyist painter.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you very much for looking at it. I didn't know what to look for to determine what kind of set it was, but chocolate didn't seem right. Thank you for telling me what to look for.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The second mark is Three Crown China, a mark used by Unger & Schilde of Roschuetz, Thuringia, Germany. The Three Crown mark was specific to goods imported by Jon H. Roth (trademark 'Jonroth') from South Bend, Indiana according to this site:
    http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein726

Houseful and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree that the marks by different makers indicates that the set was assembled by the decorator, not by the porcelain manufacturers.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's really beautiful. People used to take such pride in their table settings!

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The pot looks like a coffee pot.
    The shape of the cups look like the cups that go with a chocolate set. (I might be wrong.)
    The porcelain rest is often called a tea tile.

The set was most likely assembled at different times as the painter finished an item.

As I've mentioned before, there are good artists and some not so good.
    Your items look to have been done by someone who knew how to paint. It's very nicely done.

8. KikoBlueEyes

That's amazing that you knew what that blurred mark was. I am very impressed. Thank you for the link!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

I see your point. Perhaps, they selected the set from various pieces according to their tastes.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I liked as soon as I saw it. I would keep it except to protect it from being damaged, I have had to hide it away. It is so thin.

judy, Christmasjoy and stracci like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Ah ha. So that's why the antique shop thought it was a chocolate set - The size of the cups. I was so confused. Thanks for the name of the rest. Now we have coffee, tea and chocolate all together. :) I was wondering why all the pieces came from different porcelain manufacturers. You can see your fingers through each of the pieces except for the tea tile. So I thought it was nice quality porcelain.

12. clutteredcloset49

It is good quality porcelain. It is just made by different companies. Nothing wrong with that.
    How are you planning on selling?
    Can't remember if you have a space? ebay?

You could price the coffee pot separately as well as the tea tile, the sugar and creamer as a pair and the six cups/saucers as a set. With a discounted price for everything.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

This is the point at which I say it doesn't matter who made the blanks for hobbyist pieces.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Weyrauch, without the s.:)

judy, KikoBlueEyes and ascot like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

I don't sell anything. If I want to move something along, I just donate it. In this case, I would like to recoup some of my purchase price. A nearby auction house has asked me for pieces, so I thought about going with them. I was hoping for about half what I paid or to set the reserve at $125. What do you think?

judy likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I was thinking that information might help with the sale.

judy likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

That's what I thought.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think the market for sets like this is very weak. I'd be surprised if you could get $125, but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for your thoughts. That's why I put an amount out there. I can drop it down.

20. clutteredcloset49

You might get more if you break it into two lots.
    1. Coffee pot, Sugar and Creamer.
    2. Six chocolate cups and saucers.

Don't know what commission the auction house takes. So it may cost more and not be the best solution.

Draft saved Draft deleted