Featured Antique beaded French purse with birds

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Interesting antique purse with the bird decoration on both sides, but has some issues. It is missing its chain which is probably something that could be easily replaced, but I think the beads have "lost their paint" in spots --am I seeing that correctly and if yes, is there a good way to describe this? Also are these called "micro-beads"? Thanks!

purse1.jpg purse1a.jpg purse1h.jpg purse8.jpg purse7a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I used to do beadwork and have a small collection of bags. Some beads have indeed faded with time. I made a necklace that had dark purple beads and it's now so light you can't tell what color they were. I'm not sure why that happens. This is in pretty good condition. The fringe is exceptional becasue it seems to be intact and it's usually the first thing to go. Are there any marks on the metal frame? Is it gold washed silver, for instance? I'm seeing prices that could run over $100 or more.

Msalicia, LauraB and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bead embroidery? That looks like something out of the 20s. That's in far better shape than they usually are; the threads often let go.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Yes, I forgot to say 1920s. I agree with that date. I am trying very hard not to look at it because I REALLY DON'T need another beaded purse.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It doesn't look embroidered but knitted. Most antique bead purses were knitted. This is an example of bead knitting with a rather thick thread, most have very thin thread:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LIbraryLady, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My Czech seed bead chart says seed beads.:) I used to do beadwork, and still have a chart with the different size and colour codes.

judy likes this.
  7. evelyb30

Definitely seed beads, and bitty ones at that.

judy likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you all for taking a look! :happy:

No markings on the metal. I don't think it is gold washed silver. More of a plain metal with finish.

I do think 1920's as well, and in a way its in great condition -- just that the fringe is all there is pretty amazing. But lots of the beads have faded or worn. In a way you don't notice it at first, I even thought the variation of color was deliberate until I realized it was wear/fading.

Anyway, the birds are a huge plus. But selling it a bit "As Is".

I've listed it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-FRE...-made-in-France-034-tag-inside-/302388349104?

9. evelyb30

I watch listed it, for no particular good reason.

judy likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Mmm. I'm resisting. All my other bags are packed away for now. They were on loan to a local historical museum for awhile. I just have noplace to show them

Draft saved Draft deleted