Antique Bisque and Leather Doll (French? German?) Could it be a Bru?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Barn Owl, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Any idea who made this doll and how old it is? It's 18 inches in height. No markings. Some of the stitching on its arms is coming loose. Could that dark spot on image 2 have been a paper tag?
    Does $60 seem like a good price to pay? 840875121011ks (1).JPG 1748316121017ks.JPG 7692330121019ks.JPG 8488841121014ks.JPG 9636432121016ks.JPG 35121711210110ks.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sounds like a lot to pay for a creepy doll with condition issues that you know nothing about........imo...

Huphup and Barn Owl like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Yeah, I might have to hire an exorcist.

komokwa and Huphup like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@Christmasjoy may be able to help. She will probably want to see the back of the neck, that's where marks usually are.

Barn Owl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Not a Bru, and probably nothing French about her.

Probably German. The body is in rough condition. The lower leg limbs are replaced.

I have collected bisque dolls....some good, some not as nice as others, but in all honesty, I wouldn't give this one a home....not my home anyway.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, and if you like her, go for it. Cleaned up she will look somewhat nicer.:cat:

French dolls.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...e=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtl9euxZjYAhUL7SYKHU76

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

AJ was correct in looking for marks at the back of the head/neck area.

You did say not marked, so I assume you looked there.

Barn Owl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

While researching my own suspected Bru(signed at the back of the head, but still a possible repro) and therefore looking at a lot of bru faces online, I think yours is not a Bru, but maybe a German doll of the same era, check the neck and back of the head, it might be hidden underneath her wig.

Figtree3, Barn Owl, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He didn't post photographs of the back of the neck, so I didn't think he'd know to look there.

Barn Owl, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he does now ! :happy:

Any Jewelry, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  10. Barn Owl

I haven't gotten her yet, but I'll see if there are any markings on her neck or body once she ships.

judy likes this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Hi Barn Owl, I believe her to probably be a cheap German doll, these German factories made very beautiful and costly dolls and also many cheaper dolls as this one is, that way they were available to little girls no matter what the family circumstances were. He clothing is not original to her, it appears to be an old baptismal gown and lovely bonnet that ia too large for her, both items are worth a few bucks sold separately. She is supposed to be a little girl and not a baby, her old wig appears original to her although it is poorly made and may not be 'complete' under the hat. If her face is bisque it appears to be a very poor grade bisque and poorly painted. All that being said I find her lovely and well loved in her own right .. I would never turn her away. Please post more pics when you get her, unclothed please :) .. Joy.

12. Christmasjoy

Because of the "look" of the doll it is quite possible that she is a painted TIN head doll .. hard to tell without hands on, you will be able to tell if she is metal or bisque when you get her, Joy.

judy, Any Jewelry and Barn Owl like this.
  13. Barn Owl

Thank you, Joy! I'll take more pictures once she arrives. I knew I was taking a risk when I bought her. Hopefully, if I find the right buyer, I can at least break even with her...

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. Christmasjoy

You're welcome Barn Owl .. it's always best to study a subject before you buy, the old gown and bonnet will bring in a bit .. the doll will also bring something .. good luck and Merry Christmas, Joy.

judy, Any Jewelry and Barn Owl like this.
  15. Barn Owl

Thanks, Joy! Merry Christmas, too.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted