Featured Antique Blanket Chest with Bottom Drawer

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Frank Linn, May 20, 2023.

1. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

I saved this from the curbside yesterday when I was on my way for food shopping. It looks old, and I couldn't let it be in the landfill, so I took it home. Attached are the photos. Let me know if there are any specific part that I should upload more photos of.
    As mentioned. Looks old, and the lock has 2 out of 4 nails that are still holding onto it. Both nails looks similar but one is a bit larger than the other. Not sure why. The side panel are nailed as well (see close up photo of that). We are wondering how old the chest is? And if we should sand it down and re-coat?

Frank & Olivia Subject.png IMG_1247.jpg IMG_1248.jpg IMG_1249.jpg IMG_1250.jpg IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1252.jpg IMG_1253.jpg IMG_1254.jpg IMG_1256.jpg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I can't help but I can't believe someone would put this out on the street, lucky you!

Born2it, KylieS, Frank Linn and 2 others like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Do not sand and research more before you do anything. Form is similar to a Southern sugar chest. Some are worth big bucks.

Born2it, Frank Linn and judy like this.
  4. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

hello Frank......not too aware of Ameri8can periods but this style of Mule chest appeared mostly toward the end of the 17th century in England, . The staple hinge is period to style . The Welsh refer to them as 'a coffer bach '. the candle tray is present and it is suggested that the tallow candles repelled rodents... as an aside, smooth interior suggests linen or fine goods , rough finish, general storage , who knows!!! and whether they were made for transport by mule or an adopted term still a nice chest ....good waxing will highlight the timbers .. Well saved !!!.........just noted screws retaining lock ???? would be a later addition. rose head nails are early but this lock may have been replaced.50/50 yes or no. need to touch and feel.
    and do not sand it down.....just a good wax..

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  5. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

I love the candle box inside!

Frank Linn and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sure would be nice to know what size it is............ if that's at all possible..:meh:

Frank Linn and judy like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Great save! You did well. Agree on all above advice . Do not sand. the patina is marvelous. The hinges are consistent with my 17th century trunk. Ask others first but a good cleaning with soft cloth and murphy's oil soap.

8. verybrad

Was on my phone when I replied above so couldn't see pictures well. Very nice find and curbside is amazing! This is pine and has all indications of being late 18th to early 19th century. It does not have the refinement of a piece built in a cabinet shop, so likely a country piece. Condition and patina seems to be very good. I would do nothing beyond cleaning and a coat of paste wax. Would like dimensions and a shot of the entire interior. Also, where was this found? Seems that similar, with Chippendale bracket feet such as yours, were often from New England.

Here is one the seller dates to circa 1790. It is currently listed for sale at just shy of $1400 on a high end site.

Antique New England Country Chippendale Pumpkin Pine Blanket Box Chest – BLOOMSBURY FINE ART & ANTIQUES (bloomsburypdx.com)

This one is listed just shy of $2550.

Late 20th Century Antique Primitive Blanket Chest | Chairish

More realistically, this one sold for only $100 at auction. For what it is worth, I think someone got a steal.

Early American Chippendale Pine Blanket Chest - Oct 15, 2016 | Hudson Valley Auctions In Ny (liveauctioneers.com)

KylieS and Frank Linn like this.
  9. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

We are on the road now for the holiday week. Will be back a few days after Memorial Day weekend and update the interior photo. We had our house/pet sitter took a quick measurements, and it's 36" H x 40" W x 19" D. We didn't ask our house/pet sitter to take the interior photo because one of the staple hinge is broken, and will need one person to hold it open while taking the photo. The chest was found in NYC, Forest Hills, Queens. Attach are the photos of where it was found. The interior looks identical to the New England Pumpkin Pine chest, with the candle box, except our hinges are staple hinge (like the one from the auction site above), and the one from the bloomsburypdx looks newer.

2.jpg 1.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  10. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

This is where it was found
    2.jpg 1.jpg

11. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

36" H x 40" W x 19" D

komokwa likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

OH MAN! Wish I found things like this on the street in my town!!!!!

Frank Linn likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unbelievable, isn't it?

Debora

14. Marie Forjan

I was talking to a friend today, she and her husband were on their street this afternoon (about 1/2 mile from me) and saw a table on the side of the road with a free sign. They stopped and couldn’t fit it in their car. The people who owned it put it in their pick up and took it to my friend’s house for them. They saw it at our transfer station and wanted to save it but it didn’t work in their house so they put it out for someone else to use.

My friends are antique dealers, they said the table’s old but they don’t deal in furniture. They called another dealer who will clean it up and sell it :)

These things never happen to me!

15. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Here are the photos of the entire interior. One of the photo is showing the hinge that is missing one end that goes to the top lid. The other side is fine. I think both end of the hinge looks the same and just need to get a replacement. Any place that sells original hinge instead of modern replica? 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

At the side of the road...(SMH) It's not Ikea flat-pack, so out it went. Thankfully the OP was there to scoop it up and drive off giggling.

Frank Linn likes this.
  17. verybrad

Try to find a blacksmith to make you the hinge part. Otherwise, all looks right as rain.

Born2it and Frank Linn like this.
  18. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Sounds good. Thanks! So, from all the indications of the quality/hardware of the built, this is most likely from the 1750-1790 era from New England? I am so glad I was able to save it from the curbside.

Born2it likes this.
  19. verybrad

I would hesitate to say it is definitely 18th century. I think more late 18th to early 19th century. I also think more research is needed to say this is from New England. I suggested it based on what I was finding on-line. As we know, on-line resources should be verified or, more generally, used as a point of departure for your own research. I don't think any of us here are experts in early primitive furniture. You might need to find someone who is.

komokwa and Frank Linn like this.
  20. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Sounds good. Thanks! On a side note, the house with the chest is apparently selling the house, I will be sure to stop by often in case if there will be more amazing stuff on the curbside.

Frank & Olivia

Born2it, verybrad and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted