Featured Antique Booths China, Brown staining any advice?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jun 27, 2020.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all i picked this cup and saucer at my local thrift for a grand total of $3.00. I thought i remembered hearing of a way to get the brown staining bleached without damaging anything.
    And if I am correct this is called Scale Blue exotic birds pattern?
    Mikey

atree 23566.jpg
    atree 23567.jpg
    atree 23568.jpg
    atree 23571.jpg
    atree 23572.jpg
    atree 23570.jpg

stracci, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You could do a search on this board for peroxide.

3. 916Bulldogs123

That's what it is. Thanks Janet

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Some suggest soaking in peroxide, then put in a warm oven. This was a FAIL for me. Maybe I did something wrong, but I thought the fumes would kill me.

5. 916Bulldogs123

The inside of the cup is the only area I would need to do. And I don't want to damage any of the painting or the gold.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Do NOT emerge the piece in peroxide, the red might disappear altogether.
    greg

Christmasjoy and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

I'm going to fill the cup to just above the stain and let it sit. Hoping I don't forget it

8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

If you think the stain is caused by tea, I'd suggest trying Mr Clean's Magic Eraser.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have use the regular peroxide sold in pharmacy areas which I is 3%. I think most recommend the hair peroxide which is much stronger.

I had no problem putting peroxide in cups and letting it sit overnight or even a day or two.

I never bake mine. Just wash it well afterwards. No problems with color.

The first time I tried to remove stains, I was told to use bleach. Can't remember if it was a cup or bowl. BIG mistake. Took most of the colors out. Ruined the item.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Agree with Cluttered. I do use the hair peroxide. It comes both creamy and liquid. I like the cream due to it's thickness. I find it easier to control in small areas. In your case of the cup bowl, either one would work.

Good luck. I have only had positive results whenever used.

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have also been warned NOT to use Chlorine bleach!

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Denture tablets, Sterident, Polident etc.

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Since this is highly decorated I'd start with the least harsh and work my way up were it me. I'd probably use a good dose of Dawn dish soap (good grease dissolver) with warm to hot water and let it sit for a long time, maybe overnight, then repeat. I'd probably have at least the base sitting in water too so that anything that wants to seep out has somewhere to go. Then I'd soak it in plain warm water for awhile to get all the soap out and then set it in bright sunlight where the sun is hitting the darkened areas. If it's improved maybe just repeat that.

I've had luck with hair peroxide 20%-40% though it's pretty nasty stuff. Leaving it on for a length of time often measured in days is usually necessary though heat often speeds the process up though as mentioned, stinks. I've put an object with peroxide in a plastic bag in the sun to heat up before and that's fairly effective. It often takes a lot of soaking in plain water to get it all out (including the smell). DO NOT use chlorine bleach.

It's a pretty thing:)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    916Bulldogs123 and judy like this.
  14. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Oxyclean

15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think I tried it in the past but don't remember having results that made me want to try it again but it's been a long time. Others may have different results. (I actually don't like Oxyclean and don't keep it around anymore. No matter how careful I am with it I seem to get a funny taste in my mouth using it that lasts a long time.)

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd do the denture cleaner thing before anything - after it's had a good wash.

17. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

Given the lovely decorations on the cup, I would also go with the least harsh cleaning method first. I would try bicarbonate of soda which is also known as baking soda in U.S. (mix as a paste and apply, or make up a watery solution). i've had god success with removing stains using food-grade peroxide, too. It's stronger than peroxide for hair, but intended for food-related surfaces like cutting boards etc.

18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I also vote for the least abrasive method also. Maybe use baking soda or Bartenders friend. I would sprinkle a little in the sink & dip a wet applicator into the powder. I like the wooden applicators rather than Q-tips because they are a little sturdier. I would try scrubbing just the stained area with the applicator.

19. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I got a bunch of free samples of those once. Turns out I knew no one with dentures. My mom ended up using them in the toilet bowl. She would throw them in and it would whiten the bowl up!

daveydempsey likes this.
  20. 916Bulldogs123

Davey had a great idea and i just happened to have some.
    here is what happened in about 6 hours

Before atree 23571.jpg
    After
    atree 23576.jpg
    Thank you all very much. Now I'm going to try the bottom of the saucer.
    Mikey

Draft saved Draft deleted