Antique? Brass and Etched Glass bowl - floral - matching candlesticks

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tara Kay, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Tara Kay

Tara Kay New Member

Hello, found this after googling brass candlesticks in hopes of finding out some info on these items. Looks like there are a lot of members with a ton of knowledge, and since I can't find anything in all my searches, I'm hoping someone can tell me something about these pieces? It's 2 brass candlesticks and matching "bowl holder" - etched glass and flowers and leaf pieces are adjustable. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

@Nick Georgia I don't think these are in your area of interest, but maybe you have run across something in your adventures to help her.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2ABAD8B0-7CFD-462D-BB52-8C8581388938.jpeg
    Welcome to the Forum, Tara! :)
    Next time you upload photos, choose Full Size. ;)
    Maybe showing the underneath would also be helpful. And please mention the size.

4. Tara Kay

Tara Kay New Member

DSCN3845 small.JPG Ok, it gave me an error that the image was too large. I'll try with the bottom ones. Here's the bottom of the bowl holder - see the screws that show all the branches are adjustable too.

i need help likes this.
  5. Tara Kay

Tara Kay New Member

DSCN3854 small.JPG Here's the bottom of the candleholders. I see what you mean about the full image option. :) Thanks for your help everyone!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Tara Kay

Tara Kay New Member

Size - Candlesticks are just over 11" tall, the bowl piece is 8" tall

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It's hard to see but it looks like the glass is gray cut, not etched. It is frosted because the cutting was not polished.

8. Tara Kay

Tara Kay New Member

Thanks, that makes sense! I would feel ridges too if it were etched?

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yes, both techniques "dig" into the glass removing some material.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    a french surtout de table (centrepiece) eventually fire-gilded.

11. Tara Kay

Tara Kay New Member

I had to google just about every word! So, you think French in origin. How old? The gray cut glass seems to suggest after WWII and the bottoms don't show any sign of corrosion. What significance is fire-gilded? I picked up the bowl and sticks separately this summer, just caught my eye because my DH likes brass statues - like deer and ducks, so I keep an eye out. This was something I'd never seen before.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sorry, misunderstand "It's 2 brass candlesticks and matching "bowl holder" -"

aaroncab likes this.
  13. Nick Georgia

Nick Georgia Well-Known Member

Hello
    It does look very French.I would say anything between 1880-1910 .I have seen similar floral patterns with candlesticks.
    and it is very beautiful
    is it for sale? ;)

AdColes, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Fid, how can you tell the difference between fire gilding and electroplating? Color?

I thought they stopped fire gilding by the late 1800's because of mercury poisoning.

i need help likes this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

yes, by the color. but it's a risky guess by photos, isn't it ? and as I personally have seen similar ones - not exactly the same - from the Empire period - I guessed they might have been worth a good gilding.
    you can still get fire-gilding done today, but by highly specialized companies with all the necessary kit'n'kaboodle to protect the workforce.
    fire-gilding is much harder in the end of the process than electroplating. 3 - 4 layers that really stick together.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Thank you. :) Older French metal gilded pieces do seem to have a deeper, richer, color, even in photographs. I'm surprised that there are companies that still do it. It must cost a fortune if they have equipment that can capture the mercury vapor.

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

certainly costs an arm and a leg. and not much publicity around for it. but I'm sure they progressed in the last 100plus years in neutralizing those fumes.
    working conditions were really gruesome in the 19th c.. same with mirror making where certain sorts used quicksilver which was then constantly forbidden except for reparations of national heritage items.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted