Antique Brass Mortar and Pestle w/Knob Handles

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Shangas, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Picked this up from an acquaintance of mine. I won it from her on eBay. I think she was relieved to give it to me to be honest - she said she was having a lot of trouble selling and was just glad to be rid of it! It's now part of my brassware collection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've no idea how old this thing is, but I DO know that it's been through a LOT in its life, so it's obviously at least 100, maybe even 200 or more years old!

It's lathe-spun, evidenced by the drill-marks on the base of the mortar, on the knob-handles and the shape of the pestle, and it's got pairs of decorative rings cut into the outside, inside, underside and handles of the mortar, and a double-ended pestle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The entire body of the mortar, inside and out, and most of the pestle are covered all over in dents and dints from where it's been bashed around. There's a tiny warp-dent on the lip of the mortar from where something's smashed into it. Fortunately it's hardly noticeable so I'm not bothered.

[​IMG]

Here it is with my other knob-handle mortar-and-pestle set (on the right). They're almost exactly the same size.

I don't know how old these things are, but my guess is anywhere from 1700-1900. The one on the left has been heavily, HEAVILY used!!

I just love these old-fashioned, brass apothecary-style mortar-and-pestle sets :)

desperate_fun likes this.
  2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Me being the incorrigible rogue that I am, I couldn't leave the dent on the rim of the mortar alone.

I took out my little ballpeen hammer and commenced 'percussive maintenance' on it, as a friend calls it! :p

I'm happy to say that about a half-dozen well-placed hammer-strikes pushed the dent flush and it looks great now!

I know it's worked properly, because I don't feel the lump and the dip in the metal anymore. But also, the mortar sat flat and level on its base, but when I flipped it over and rested it on the rim, it wouldn't stop wobbling and shaking.

Now, it sits flat and level, right-side-up, or upside-down! So it's back to its original shape! :)

You can see the dent in the second photo of the original post. In the middle of the picture on the rim, you can see a downward dip in the rim where something's hit it.

Well, I hit it right back! And now it's perfect.